About "mermaids"

QuestionAsker

Has anyone heard about modern mermaids? About exchanging souls with another person or about fallen demons?
It sounds science fiction, but hey, maybe I´m not the only one who really heard that from someone trustworthy.

Nadai

I haven't heard any recent mermaid stories. I have heard about exchanging souls. Also, I don't think I've ever heard anything about demons falling from anywhere-maybe angels falling and becoming demons.
I did hear once about an exchange so that a person could become a mermaid. I once heard that if a person came across a dying mermaid or an injured mermaid, the mermaid could take the soul of a person (a seaman) to heal herself. I've heard also about making a wish to become a mermaid. If a person wanted to be a mermaid and found one, she could ask the mermaid to grant her the ability (maybe a case of sharing her essence).
As far as exchanging souls: There's always been the legend of someone stealing another person's soul in order to lengthen their lifespan. Whatever amount of time the person had will be added to their own.

QuestionAsker

Thank you for replying.
How do I find out more about this? I´ve been trying to google it, but it seems like google is helpful only when it comes to non-vital stuff. I think I might know a case of an "ex" mermaid. "Drowning someone with a glass of water only", "reading minds"? What is this? It´s all confusing, but I can´t back out for personal reasons, so I have to find more about this, any chance you could know how would one find out about these things?
Ow, and about the demon, yea, he prolly is a fallen angel, I´ve heard about one in a town in my country, heard he knows a lot of insight about God and stuff... I´m not the believer type, or the religious or magic or whatever, but this has literally blown my senses away.

Q.A.

Nadai

Drowning: It only takes one tablespoon of water in the lungs to drown.
http://www.sutcliffe.ca/joel/nls/drowning.pdf
Fallen angel/demon: I don't know where you live, but I could look up demon myths from your area if you'd like.
Reading minds: Because people generally use only 10% of their brain power it's assumed that if a person were able to tap into more, perhaps all or even half, they would be able to perform extraordinary mental tasks: telepathy, telekinesis, psychokinesis etc. Remember the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta... That's the idea.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15619393
Mermaids: That reminds me of the Sirens of Greek myth. (Σειρήν Seirēn Σειρῆνες Seirēnes). Sirens are portrayed as mermaids often times in Spanish (Sirena), French(Sirène), Italian(Sirena), Polish(Syrena), Romanian (Sirenă), and Portuguese(Sereia) lore. The Sirens or mermaids would lure seamen with their song. The song was supposed to be such a mix of beauty and tragedy that the men would be lured into a state of "fatal lethargy". With the introduction of Christianity, talk of sailors encountering Sirens was discouraged. Today, though, they still represent the idea of dangerous temptation in the form of woman. In Hebrew, Siren (Tenim) translates to jackals.
Ovid mentions Sirens in his poem, Metamorphosis.
The sharp-eared Argonaut Butes dying.

QuestionAsker

I´m from Romania, and thank you for all the infos, it´s really amazing, but it only proofs that it´s possible, any ideea how I could find out how this is possible and how could I maybe get into their world or something?

Nadai

Getting into the world of myth and legend outside of books is not something I know how to do. If it were possible I would love the opportunity-it'd be pretty cool I think. There is nothing I love more than learning about other worlds and new cultures, but whether or not one actually exists outside of the human realm I couldn't say.
I have a friend from Romania. May I ask where in Romania you are from. I can look into that demon for you if you'd like.
The said door to the Underworld in Greek myth is located at Avernus, a crater in the ground near Cumae. That is one of many entrances to the Underworld, but it's the only one I can remember, unfortunately.
Here is a map I found of the Underworld...
http://www.maicar.com/GML/Underworldmap.html

Nadai

I think you would like reading Jacquelyn Frank's books. She's written several series that deal with everything you have mentioned: mermaids, demons and angels, mind reading...there is even one book that has scenes in Romania I believe. There is The Nightwalkers, The Shadowdwellers, and The Gatherers. They're all pretty amazing. Actually I have all her books, but one. She's a pretty great author. Another author I know of who mentions Greek myth in her work, even her spin on Atlantean myth, is Sherrilyn Kenyon in her Dark-Hunters series. I have most of her books as well. If you're so interested in these topics, I'm sure you'd like them. Also Larissa Ione; she focuses mostly on Demons in her Demonica series. There are several others.
Here are their pages...
http://jacquelynfrank.com/
http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/
http://larissaione.com/blog/books/
Enjoy! Happy hunting!

QuestionAsker

I do know about them, they are wide spread, but I did find out about a cool book in there, so it helped me.
Not sure what you mean by the name of my demon.

Nadai

Most demons have names...Lilith is a very popular baby-killing demon. Beelzebub and Balthazar are also pretty popular demons. If you knew the name of the demon in your town I could look him up for you.

RLynn

A similar water spirit is the Lorelei in Heine's poem:
_
I know not if there is a reason
Why I am so sad at heart.
A legend of bygone ages
Haunts me and will not depart.

The air is cool under nightfall.
The calm Rhine courses its way.
The peak of the mountain is sparkling
With evening's final ray.

The fairest of maidens is sitting
Unwittingly wondrous up there,
Her golden jewels are shining,
She's combing her golden hair.

The comb she holds is golden,
She sings a song as well
Whose melody binds an enthralling
And overpowering spell.

In his little boat, the boatman
Is seized with a savage woe,
He'd rather look up at the mountain
Than down at the rocks below.

I think that the waves will devour
The boatman and boat as one;
And this by her song's sheer power
Fair Lorelei has done.
_
Heine died around the middle of the 19th century, so the poem is of relatively recent origin. It usually makes me tear up a bit. Life is so full of things both lovely and sorrowful. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nadai

Heine died around the middle of the 19th century, so the poem is of relatively recent origin. It usually makes me tear up a bit. Life is so full of things both lovely and sorrowful. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks for that, RLynn, that was beautiful.

Myrddin

I loved the poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Nadai

I was listening to the song and my 3 year old asked me to turn it off; he said it was scary:oops:I liked it:)