Ant killers

Myrddin

Has anyone seen the new commercial for Raid? To kill ants outside? I am curious about other peoples feelings on this. I am certainly appalled. Obviously you don't want them in your house, but this is outside where they are not in your house, not harming you in any way. Disgusting.

I could not agree with you more. Its disgusting that people would want to harm an animal like that. I havent seen this commercial, and im glad i havent. I guess there's loads of things like this avalible at the moment, and the company saw it as an easy way to make money.

Arachne

Honestly unless its biting me I don't kill insects/similar beings even in the house. I wouldn't dream of killing one outside.

RLynn

Ants are an essential link in the food chain. There's no telling what effect the uncontrolled killing of any particular life-form might have on the balance of nature.

Where I live, we've inadvertantly killed off all the natural enemies of deer, so they proliferate like rabbits in Australia. Therefore they must be hunted, in order to control their population and the consequent damage they can do to vegetation, which is their main food source. I love the deer. They are beautiful, gentle creatures, and several mornings a week I see them grazing in my yard. However, we have done them no favor by killing their natural enemies.

magickz

I have yet to catch this but with a DVR I tend to skip most commercials too. Are they maybe talking about in the area where a patio might be? The only issue I have with ants is that we have fire/red ones in mounds through our back area, which makes a play area for the kids almost impossible.

Allie-Gator

I don't have cable so I wouldn't see it unless I'm visiting with someone. We don't have fire ants so it's not an issue here. The only ants I really worry about are the ones that decide to invade my space and they PINCH! I used to take clothes in off of the line and the big black ones would pinch and hold on. You couldn't get them to turn loose and I had to kill them to get them off of me.

RLynn

I've been stung by a lot of critters, but the most painful was a fire ant. They have a smooth stinger in their rear end. They can grab hold of your skin with their legs and inject you repeatedly with venom. I once got a swelling the size of a walnut from a fire ant sting. It took a day or two before the swelling went down.

Myrddin

I've been stung by a lot of critters, but the most painful was a fire ant. They have a smooth stinger in their rear end. They can grab hold of your skin with their legs and inject you repeatedly with venom. I once got a swelling the size of a walnut from a fire ant sting. It took a day or two before the swelling went down.
Ooo, that sounds nasty! I'm certainly happy to say that I've never gotten stung by one.