Apache myth of creation

cuzido

The Jicarilla Apache emergence

In the beginning there is nothing but water. All living things are in the underworld. Everything can talk to everything else. Humans and other daylight creatures want more light; nocturnal animals want darkness. They play a game to decide, and daylight wins out. The Sun peeps through a hole into the upper world and is able to tell the people about it. They build four mounds to help them reach it. In each of the four directions they pile up fruits of a particular colour. These grow into mountains, but they stop short of the upper world.
The people try making ladders of feathers but they break. Four buffalo offer their right horns as ladder rungs and the climb up and people emerge. They tie the Sun and Moon with spider thread to stop them escaping. Four storms blow the waters away and the people circle around their emergence hole until they eventually settle in one place.

Sylvia

I remember I took a literature class and we were comparing native american creating myths with the Christian one.

One of them went something like there was this great chief of the sky world where a sacred tree grew bearing fruit and tobacco ( I think) and he had this beautiful young woman that he wanted to marry and he breathed on her or something and she became pregnant. He didn't know this so when they were married he was angry thinking that she was unfaithful to him....and something something he up-rooted the great tree and she was looking down at the bottomless pit left by it and the great chief kicked her in. She fell in and met a great white beast that gave her food...she kept falling and below the there were animals in a watery place and these animals knew that She was coming so they had the great turtle come up from the water so She could have something to land on. And the story goes on to say how she had the weasle go down and bring mud up so they could lay it over the turtle and plant seeds....and then She has her child, a daughter, who has two sons Good Mind and Evil Mind and they spend their lives warring with each other, shaping the world.

lol Yeah I'm not a good story teller.