Bedtime story

palefrost

Bedtime story

Do you read bedtime stories to your little ones? I do. We are reading harry potter at the moment. Its a great way to have a calm and peaceful time with them. What books do you read at bedtime?

htmlmaster

I don't have little ones, in fact, if I was one or the other, I would be the little one. Anyway, I suppose it's a good idea, especially if the children in question are new to reading. Just make sure they don't become dependent you reading stuff for them.

LyricB

I read a story to my daughter every night...she's not quite three yet but she gets a real kick out of it. I think it helps her settle down.

Slashmire

Hmm my mom used to read us bed time stories, but nothing involving convoluted storylines such as Harry Potter, we were more on the easy fairy tales genre :)

palefrost

My little one sticks her whole face inside the book as im trying to read its really funny. After a few minutes i need to pull her out of the book and sit her back on the bed. :D

LyricB

My Dad, who still remains to this day a very eclectic man, used to read Hindu mythology to my brother and I at bedtime. Considering we were pretty young you can imagine how confusing it all was.

Melos

I have read to my boys every night of their entire lives, and I intend to continue until they move out. :D

Right now, they have me reading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" though I'm sure they aren't getting a lot of it.

harleysneak

We read bedtime stories to our daughter every night before bed. She's only 16 months right now, but she looks forward to it every night. As we're getting her pajamas on, she'll sit there and say book and point to her books. We read her a different story every night. She probably already has over 100 books!

Melos

I just think books are so important for kids - not only to get them interested in reading, but to spark their imagination. My eldest son is not very imaginative - he's very literal and analytical, but he can get into a good adventure story.

Slashmire

Quite right, there isn't much drawbacks to kids when on the subject of reading book. Imagination as well as a better vocabulary are bound to arise.

vicki2

I have a vague recollection of my mother reading to me, but she taught me to read by the time I was four ...I have no idea whether it was because she was just very progressive or didn't want to be bothered with bedtime reading ...I have a feeling it was the latter LOL.

Melos

What does everyone think of reading to older kids? I enjoy reading to people, and my eldest son can read. We take turns reading to eachother throughout the day (I homeschool). I intend to read to my kids until they tell me to stop - and have them read to me.
A friend said it was weird to read at bedtime to a child who could read to themselves.