Bifröst and a question

Wotan

Okay, first of all I would like to say, I have decided Norse mythology is my new favourite. Any mythology with a magical rainbow bridge (Bifröst) is a kick-arse mythology. Secondly I would like to ask, where do Odin's crows come from? I keep seeing them in depictions of Odin but what? does he have a pose of crows? a murder if you will.

LegendofJoe

I don't know where the crows come from but I believe there are only two.
Their names are Hugin and munin, which means thought and memory.
Odin fears for them both, especially Munin.
Everyday he sends them out into the world to collect info and come back to whisper
the info in his ear.
This is possibly a reminder that Odin has some shaman like attributes. His
crows, or ravens, represent his soul that goes out to commune with the spirits.
At his feet are also two wolves: Geri and freki.

LegendofJoe

As far as i know I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
I have a nice poster of Odin riding on Sleipnir, along with his ravens and wolves. The Valkyries are in the background.
I picked it up in Denmark.
I could take a pic of it and scan it into my comp., but I don't know how to post it in a forum.

Wotan

upload it to image shack and then to post images you use [ i m g ] imagelink [ / i m g ] (but with no spaces)

Helga

LegendofJoe, Totally awesome poster! Thanks for sharing. Here is the literal translation of what is written on the bottom of the poster:
"Hugin and Munin Tells of Norse gods by Erik Hjorth Nielson Agertoften Publishing". I do not know if Geri and Freki have any meaning, but their names actually mean "the greedy one" or "the ravenous one".

LegendofJoe

Thanks Helga for the translation.
I've had this poster in my spare room up since '95.
I purchased it somewhere in Copenhagen.

LegendofJoe

Here is a more whimsical poster I picked up also in Scandinavia:

On the left you can see Odin riding Sleipnir and Bifrost, the rainbow bridge. On the right Thor is ridung his chariot and fighting the Midgard serpent.
In the foreground is Freya deciding to sleep with the dwarves in order to have the necklace Brisingamen.
In the tree is a glimpse of Hela and the realm of the dead.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film