Black cats: bad luck, good luck, or just cats?

Katie

I've read a lot about black cats growing up because, well, I was really fascinated with the whole black cat thing. On one end, they say a black cat is bad luck because it is the pet of witches and sometimes some black cats are actually the witch... while on the other end they say black cats are lucky and that they are kept on boats for good luck and a safe trip. How do you react when you see a black cat? As I grew up I started to just see a black cat as a normal cat since really, there are just so many stories about it that I don't feel scared anymore. Not like how I was when I was younger and I would see a black cat. haha.

Calliope

I've always heard that black cats were bad luck, especially when I was growing up. However I'm a cat person in general, so I love all kinds of cats. Even if they are black. :)

Diana

I have 4 black cats and the worst of luck, I have had bad luck without the black cats, so I don't think they are connected to my string of bad luck at all.

iheartdragons

I think that someone had a bad experience made this up. I think black cats are gorgeous, I own one and I love her. I'm pretty sure I don't have any bad luck attached to me.

Skeptic sister

It depends on the ethnicity of the person, in truth: in some areas of the world, it's a WHITE cat that is considered an omen of ill luck.

I've always owned a black cat; it wasn't something intentional, but even of the two I currently own, one is all black.

Ronnie

I have only one type of luck and that is all bad. It's very disconcerting especially since I own a ginger cat. But then again, I guess we make most of our own luck.

Pegasus

I had a friend that owned a black cat. This cat had the most beautiful gold colored eyes I have ever seen! When Friday the 13th would roll around, she would ask her cat to cross her patch a few times to bring her extra good luck. Guess it is all in your perspective, and like LegendofJoe said, black is just a color.

Isis

They are just cats. When I see one, I don't think "Bad luck", I think "I hope the owner doesn't have white furniture or carpets!" Of course my cat is gray with black and white markings so I see cat hair everywhere regardless. ;)

Diana

My luck is horrible, it has nothing to do with my cats. I am starting to think it has everything to do with me instead.

Skeptic sister

I was taught that we make our own luck: if you're having a rough 'go of things, look within, and see if there isn't something about how you look at things that could be lending itself to the complaint. :)

Nadai

I have no cats, but I've always thought solid black or white cats were especially beautiful. I think black cats have bad luck, but I don't think they bring it. I've read that many people buy black cats around Halloween for the fear affect and then abandon them or put them in a shelter.
http://www.mchumane.org/blackcat.shtml
Lots of black cats have trouble getting adopted after they are taken to shelters and, statistically speaking, they are the least frequently adopted cats. So I think black cats do have bad luck, but because we give it to them.

Frumpy

Amazing that there is so much to be said about cats. I am allergic to cats so they are really bad for me. :) Nonetheless, I just think that cats are cats and nothing else. I have seen some people freaking out about a cat crossing in front of them though.

Katie

Black cats are gorgeous aren't they? Shame they've got such a long lasting horrible reputation behind them. I remember reading something about them being witches in animal form... :-/

Nice to know everyone else here also just sees cats as normal cats and black as just a color:)

LegendofJoe

I believe some cats were seen as witches familiars and even killed.

I read somewhere that out of the different faith traditions, Muslims are known to have historically been rather
favorable to cats.
There is a legend that a cat fell asleep on Mohammed's arm.
Rather than wake the cat, he cut off the sleeve of his shirt.
Who would want to hurt a cat if the prophet himself was willing to ruin
a shirt over one?

Diana

I have always been drawn to black cats. I find them to be very nice animals. Always well behaved and spoiled. They always come to lay with me when I am feeling down.

Katie

I live in a Muslim country and I did hear about that. The Prophet favored cats. Even here, cats are much preferred over dogs, who are run over or killed immediately if they are strays. It's very rare to see a stray dog here. Cats are EVERYWHERE. I think that's part of the reason I don't believe in the bad luck brought by black cats. They're just everywhere and it's nothing unusual anymore.

Myrddin

I have a back cat named Willow. She is my baby and gives me much love.
Black is just a color.
I look after a black cat named Willoughby. He is adorable, mostly keeps to himself. The same people have another black cat as well, very playful, and as far as I know they have never had any bad luck, and neither have I. I definitely agree -- cats are cats, and black is just a colour.

LegendofJoe

I look after a black cat named Willoughby. He is adorable, mostly keeps to himself. The same people have another black cat as well, very playful, and as far as I know they have never had any bad luck, and neither have I. I definitely agree -- cats are cats, and black is just a colour.
Willoughby. That is cute.
Isn't that the name of the train stop that was featured in an episode of "The Twilight Zone?"
It was supposed to be a happy place for a sad man who was tired of the rat race.
It turns out he died and Willoughby was a morgue.

RLynn

I have three cats. One of them is black. He is the most athletic and intelligent of the three, and he even figured out how to turn a doorknob to open a door. The others don't have a clue. I used to have another black cat who was not only very smart and athletic, but was as friendly and affectionate as a dog.