Class of fairy tales

What is your favourite class of fairy tales?

• Aesop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asbjørnsen and Moe

• Charles Perrault

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Grimm Brothers

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Mademoiselle de Beaumont (Beauty and the Beast)

• Walt Disney

• Angela Carter

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • All of them

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Myrddin

What is everyones favourite class of fairy tales or fables, as they range from Aesop to Walt Disney?

Isis

Well that's a tough decision. I actually haven't heard of some of those names. Based on what I know now, I'd say my favorite is Grimm Brothers. I don't like the newer, softened versions though. Give me the classic dark ones.

RLynn

Well that's a tough decision. I actually haven't heard of some of those names. Based on what I know now, I'd say my favorite is Grimm Brothers. I don't like the newer, softened versions though. Give me the classic dark ones.
Agreed!

Katie

I grew up watching the Disney versions of those fairy tales but as I grew up I started reading up on the original story lines, and may I just say that I find them much more interesting and less predictable than the and they live happily ever after cliche endings that Disney has given to their adaptations.

Myrddin

Personally, my favourites are Perrault, the Grimm Brothers and Angela Carter. I was introduced to Charles Perrault and the Grimm Brothers in high school, though I had not heard of Angela Carter until I started college. Carter's tales are a little more modern and have a slight feminist twist. They are definitely dark, and certainly worth the read. She wrote two different "Little Red Riding Hood" stories, both of which I enjoy. One of the things I like that she does when she rewrites them is that she always suppplies a new title, so that they are always instantly differentiated from the originals, nor are they trying to be passed off as the originals.

Frumpy

I know I sound like a wuss, but even though I like the real ones, they are a little too dark for my taste. I rather give the water down Disney version to my kids. :rolleyes: My

VidaDuerme

Perrault, but McKinley for modern adaptations. Also, the Fables graphic novels. Bloody brilliant. Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, and Apples" is worth a read for those interested in vampirism, a necrophilic/vampiric short story retelling of Snow White, very dark, but it's Gaiman. Sort of to be expected. I don't usually like anything Vampire related, but it was an entertaining read.

Myrddin

Perrault, but McKinley for modern adaptations. Also, the Fables graphic novels. Bloody brilliant. Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, and Apples" is worth a read for those interested in vampirism, a necrophilic/vampiric short story retelling of Snow White, very dark, but it's Gaiman. Sort of to be expected. I don't usually like anything Vampire related, but it was an entertaining read.
Besides Love in Vein II and Smoke and Mirrors do you know if "Snow, Glass, and Apples" appears in any other books?

VidaDuerme

Besides Love in Vein II and Smoke and Mirrors do you know if "Snow, Glass, and Apples" appears in any other books?
Not off the top of my head, I have it in Love in Vein II. As a short story anthology, I'd recommended it. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but if you're into persian/proto christian/catholic mythology and symbolism at all, it has the best short story involving all three. It's a story called "The Dripping of Sundered Wineskins" and I will forever recommend it, definitely my favorite non-Bradbury short story. Sent chills down my spine, and does every time I read it.

Myrddin

Not off the top of my head, I have it in Love in Vein II. As a short story anthology, I'd recommended it. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but if you're into persian/proto christian/catholic mythology and symbolism at all, it has the best short story involving all three. It's a story called "The Dripping of Sundered Wineskins" and I will forever recommend it, definitely my favorite non-Bradbury short story. Sent chills down my spine, and does every time I read it.
Gosh darn it! The library system where I live doesn't have it.

VidaDuerme

Gosh darn it! The library system where I live doesn't have it.
I've seen it in various used bookstores a few times over the years. You might go that route if you don't want to pay cover price. I'm a bit sneaky with used bookstores, I bring in a huge box of trade ins, establish a nice line of credit, suck up a bit, and then leave a list of the titles I'm looking for. Works every time.

Myrddin

I've seen it in various used bookstores a few times over the years. You might go that route if you don't want to pay cover price. I'm a bit sneaky with used bookstores, I bring in a huge box of trade ins, establish a nice line of credit, suck up a bit, and then leave a list of the titles I'm looking for. Works every time.
Huh, thank you. I'll have to remember that trick.