Dream interpretation

Katie

How do people interpret dreams? I usually have really really weird but realistic dreams which freak me out sometimes. Other times my dreams come true and it really scares me. Are dream dictionaries reliable when it comes to these? Or are these like messages or omens?

Dreams are sub-concious messages that the mind tells us, that we may not even be able to know ourselves, though dreaming allows us to access these thoughts. In mythology, for instance, the dream of Balder, it is used to predict the future, as he has dreams of . Every night we dream, it occurs in our fifth and final stage of REM (rapid eye movement), its just very rarely that we remember them. I used to keep a dream diary, which you can write anything that you find important in, the place, feelings, and you can be as descriptive as you wish. Its best to do that as soon as you wake though, so you can remember everything. then if you analyse what happens around you, i guess you can find links. As far as dream dictionaries go, I'd use them as guidelines as a pose to definative answers. Its best to use instinct over written set words. They do have a purpose in life i guess, but you decide what that purpose is, ever heard of lucid dreaming?

Helga

There are so many ways to look at dream interpretations. Everything seems and feels so real at the time you are having it. You certainly seem to be in a very deep sleep state, and like Amy pointed out you do not always remember everything or anything from the dream. Are you dreaming of a horse and it is really a horse - or does the horse stand as a symbol for something else? As so it can go on. Have you ever noticed though that when you are sick, your dreams are different too? Amy, please explain more about lucid dreaming.

LegendofJoe

I once asked a psychiatrist about dream interpretation. His answer was simply that the best person to interpret your dreams is yourself.
At least for myself I find that to be true. Ofcourse dreams sometimes can be nonsensical and don't always have to mean something.

RLynn

I do not believe dreams are predictive of future events. On the contrary, if I dream about something particularly bad happening, I awake with the assurance that it will not really happen (provided that I remember the dream). I sometimes have horrible nightmares about a particularly stressful period in my past (actually my entire professional life, starting with college and graduate school). I love waking up with profound relief and looking forward to a day free from those concerns.

Ah, Lucid Dreaming =) from my knowledge, its where you get to control your dreams and when your fully aware that you are dreaming. From what people have told me, its when you let your body go to sleep, but your mind remains awake. Its quite a tricky concept, i guess. Ive never been able to do it, though i believe you can buy music that's supposed to aid you to lucid dream and there are countless books on it. Although, i cant comment on it too much as I've never experienced it. This probably has a better explanation: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamtypes/luciddreams.htm its a pretty good site for dreams in general, used to love the site.

Katie

It's so amazing I'm getting such great answers. The reason I asked is that I've been getting really absurd dreams, some are just flat out scary and sometimes they repeat themselves. The dream I had last night was a repeat dream, and for some reason I knew in the dream that it was a repeat dream and I tried to avoid what happened in the last dream by changing my actions in the current dream.

Recurring dreams? Hmm...ive had that before, i couldn't properly remember the dream i had but i remember it feeling like id dreamt something like it before. I guess id it was my, id interpret it as a sign for something? Though, i am no expert at this stuff. And last night, did you have a lucid dream?

LegendofJoe

I have a recurrent dream.
I dream that I am outside my home, either at work or in some public place, when suddenly
I realize I have no clothes on! Or at least I have no pants.
I interpret this to mean that I feel vulnerable and self conscience about myself when I'm around people.

Ronnie

I find most of the dreams I remember are dreams in which I seem to work out waking problems. I don't remember many dreams as Amy has said. The ones I do remember seem to be those in which I work the problem out.

Pegasus

Sounds like everyone is just as busy when sleeping as when you are awake!:) Insecurities can play a big part of the dreams. Many times I dream that I am back at school, and trying to remember something - a locker combination, where to find a certain classroom, or worse yet, can't remember what my next class is.

RLynn

.....Many times I dream that I am back at school, and trying to remember something - a locker combination, where to find a certain classroom, or worse yet, can't remember what my next class is.
Exactly the same with me. Another dream along the same lines is that it is the end of the term, there are final exams, and there is a class which I forget about and haven't attended for several weeks. I don't even remember the subject or course number.

Katie

I actually get Lucid Dreams very often. Sometimes I feel like I can choose in my own dreams. I don't know how to explain that but like I can change the direction of things. I'm also almost always aware that I am actually in a dream.

The dreams that scare me the most actually are dreams when I am aware that I am dreaming but I can't move.

LegendofJoe

Sounds like everyone is just as busy when sleeping as when you are awake!:) Insecurities can play a big part of the dreams. Many times I dream that I am back at school, and trying to remember something - a locker combination, where to find a certain classroom, or worse yet, can't remember what my next class is.
Ha ha! I actually have this kind of dream also! And I graduated college 26 years ago!!!!

Thats quite awesome that you are able to lucid dream =) it's supposed to have benefits that can be transfered to the real world, how does it feel? Like to control your dreams? I only ask because i can never seem to lucid dream.

And you say you cant move? Thats called sleep paralysis, ive never experienced that yet either...but Im thankful for that. I've read stories about it, and it does sound horrible...do you have frequent recurring sleep paralysis. Maybe you should look into this more and see what you can find out about it all, there are many people who know a lot about it who would probably be able to tell you about their experiences.

Nadai

I have a book of dream interpretations, but sometimes it doesn't help, I will dream something that isn't in the book. If that happens, I just ask family what they think my dreams mean. I would like to think that spirits use our dreams to communicate with us or warn us, to prepare us for things to come or help us remember the past.

fibi ducks

I keep a dream diary, and straight diary. Though I didn't keep it up recently. I would write the dream when I woke, then an entry on what was going on in general. Without deciding that the dream meant something, yet I sometimes found that having these two side by side would get me thinking a new way, or give me a metaphore for something that was happening.

Dream Diaries are difficult to do unless you right down exactly what happened, but then as well, what if you thought something happened but it really didn't, like if your mind fabricates details? Its very difficult i think...