Fact or faked?

Nadai

Just in 2010 there were accounts of werewolf sightings in Ohio, Wisconson, New Mexico, and Texas.

The Balkans, Transylvania, and London have all had reports of vampire attacks in or near cemeteries at night just in 2009. Reports have been made across Central and Eastern Europe as well as across North America, though 50% of sightings in America occur in New York. Professional Vampire hunters confirm that vampirism is on the rise in Europe.

Footage of bigfoot has been collected as well as footprints and hair samples. Hundreds claim to have had a so-called "close encounter" with big foot... One man claimed he shot big foot!

...Are all of these people crazy or do you think it's possible that these legends are real. How is it that even in the 1960s, before Twilight or Vampire Diaries, before vampires were sex symbols, people in London and America were being attacked by vampires? Was Bram Stoker's Dracula so popular that it created mass vampiric hysteria?... What about the other legends? Ones that are less popular? If they're not real then where did they come from and how did they become so popular amongst countries that, at the time of their arrival, had no connection or communication with one another?

Vince

You make some good points, but your questions lead me to one of my own. If so many people have had these encounters and have all of this evidence, then why isn't there more conclusive proof of these creatures? I'd love to believe they exist, and maybe they do. You would think with all the technology we have now, it would be possible to catch or kill one of these monsters, and show the world the results.

Myrddin

This is all quite interesting, though I doubt any of it is true. I guess there could, however, be people who are drawn into vampirism by the taste for blood and maybe even use sets of needles to make it look as if their victims wounds are puncture marks from a vampires teeth. Just throwing that out there as a possibility. Because vampires are essentially dead people, right? It wouldn't be that difficult for someone to pull off the facade to appear as a vampire. Just play dress-up.

As for Bigfoot/Sasquatch I have no ideas. Maybe there really is an unknown creature out there stalking the woods, yet I still don't believe that someone actually shot the thing. I would think there would be more press about it, if that were true.

I think that before the 1960s vampires weren't so strongly symbolic of sexualism, but the association of such acts were still prominant in the stories. Bram Stoker's original Dracula definitely had an underlying tone of sexual desire shown in both the Count and his brides. The Count first reigning in Lucy Westenra and then his continuous attempts at seducting Mina shows it, and then his brides as they continually try to reign in Jonathan Harker.

Myrddin

You make some good points, but your questions lead me to one of my own. If so many people have had these encounters and have all of this evidence, then why isn't there more conclusive proof of these creatures? I'd love to believe they exist, and maybe they do. You would think with all the technology we have now, it would be possible to catch or kill one of these monsters, and show the world the results.
You make some very good points. I don't think I'd want to them to actually exist though, not that it wouldn't be interesting, but because they are dangerous, relentless creatures whose presence would raise some serious questions about safety. And how could one identify them from a normal human? Not only would anyone no longer be able to go out after dark, but also we would turn paranoid about inviting anyone in. (Because, you know, once a vampire is invited in, they can come in anytime they want.) Eventually, they would wipe out the entire human species.

Nadai

You make some very good points. I don't think I'd want to them to actually exist though, not that it wouldn't be interesting, but because they are dangerous, relentless creatures whose presence would raise some serious questions about safety. And how could one identify them from a normal human? Not only would anyone no longer be able to go out after dark, but also we would turn paranoid about inviting anyone in. (Because, you know, once a vampire is invited in, they can come in anytime they want.) Eventually, they would wipe out the entire human species.
Why would we become any more paranoid after getting proof of their existence...? If they exist then they have existed for a long time, maybe even as long as humans, maybe even longer. It would be no more dangerous than it was in the past before we had proof of their existence I would think.

Nadai

This is all quite interesting, though I doubt any of it is true. I guess there could, however, be people who are drawn into vampirism by the taste for blood and maybe even use sets of needles to make it look as if their victims wounds are puncture marks from a vampires teeth. Just throwing that out there as a possibility. Because vampires are essentially dead people, right? It wouldn't be that difficult for someone to pull off the facade to appear as a vampire. Just play dress-up.

As for Bigfoot/Sasquatch I have no ideas. Maybe there really is an unknown creature out there stalking the woods, yet I still don't believe that someone actually shot the thing. I would think there would be more press about it, if that were true.

I think that before the 1960s vampires weren't so strongly symbolic of sexualism, but the association of such acts were still prominant in the stories. Bram Stoker's original Dracula definitely had an underlying tone of sexual desire shown in both the Count and his brides. The Count first reigning in Lucy Westenra and then his continuous attempts at seducting Mina shows it, and then his brides as they continually try to reign in Jonathan Harker.
Vampires are mentioned in the Bible as well if I'm remembering correctly. God goes through a list of unforgivable sins and one of them is people who drink others blood...so were people even in the Bible days worried about vampirism?
During the Black Plague several people feared that vampirism was on the rise. Some members of the church dug up graves and found scratches on the inside of the coffin (from people bing burried alive) and feared that this, along with the apparent growth of the dead's hair and nails, that vampires existed. They started unearthing caskets and steaking, salting, and burning the corpses inside to be sure that they would not turn into vampires.
...It seems vampires have been a part of our history for a very long time...maybe our ancestors saw something or knew something we didn't.

Myrddin

Why would we become any more paranoid after getting proof of their existence...? If they exist then they have existed for a long time, maybe even as long as humans, maybe even longer. It would be no more dangerous than it was in the past before we had proof of their existence I would think.
What I mean since we actually know that vampires exist. Right now most of us really only believe that they are mythical creatures. I would think that if they actually do exist, and we got proof of that, a lot of people would become more paranoid (mostly those who in the past only believed vampires to be imaginary, and even those who believed them to be real). As these creatures are suddenly proven real, everyone would ultimately be more scared, and paranoia would set in. I would think that after a while, we would get better and the paranoia would die down eventually, as we start to get used to the idea of vampires actually living amongst us.

No, it would not be any more dangerous than before we would have known, but the sudden realization of such an existence would put us off, and mount on our fears. It would only seem more dangerous.

Arachne

All you need to have a vampie is a person who drinks blood. All you need for a werewolf is a person who has a mental disorder to think he's an animal. Both of these things are grounded in reality - all I'd have to do right now to be a vampire is find blood somewhere and drink it!

Myrddin

All you need to have a vampie is a person who drinks blood. All you need for a werewolf is a person who has a mental disorder to think he's an animal. Both of these things are grounded in reality - all I'd have to do right now to be a vampire is find blood somewhere and drink it!
You make a very good point. Touché.

Nadai

What I mean since we actually know that vampires exist. Right now most of us really only believe that they are mythical creatures. I would think that if they actually do exist, and we got proof of that, a lot of people would become more paranoid (mostly those who in the past only believed vampires to be imaginary, and even those who believed them to be real). As these creatures are suddenly proven real, everyone would ultimately be more scared, and paranoia would set in. I would think that after a while, we would get better and the paranoia would die down eventually, as we start to get used to the idea of vampires actually living amongst us.

No, it would not be any more dangerous than before we would have known, but the sudden realization of such an existence would put us off, and mount on our fears. It would only seem more dangerous.
So we'd go from mass panic to The original BREED;) Sounds like a wild time