Indian Mythology

jason

empty
I would be very interested in hearing some. I have some friends from India, but trying to get information from them is like pulling teeth sometimes.

doodlebug

That should be interesting. I've never heard anything about Indian mythology. There are a number of general themes that seem to be found in most cultures, but it's always interesting to see the many variations.

LyricB

Does this refer to stuff like Hinduism and such? They have some great stories...my dad used to tell me the story of Siva the Destroyer, and when he would open his third eye the world would be destroyed. Add to this that my dad had a poster of Siva in the living room which showed his third eye barely opening, and I was one scared little gal.

aprilcanadian

I often go looking for small unique bits of artwork. I found a gem i believe to be very old and from india and apears to have a creation myth ingraved in it...specifically the conception of a god if i am interperating it right.

it is a set of wooden panels shaped like a pot bellied man with huge earings, they open to reveal stories carved in with penis shaped borders. there is two gods in monkey form mating (and my they are kinky), i am not well versed in indias myths so i am unsure of their names but they conceieved the child who became the man the whole thing is shaped like and is on the covers...anothe rgod attempted to destroy the child while in womb and this caused the earings, the child born is very powerful but unaware of his power...

any clues to who this might be if i am interperating the carvings right?

lilyrose

I am not very familiar with indian mythology and will be looking forward to you posting some. I am very interested in learning more about the different cultural mythologies. I only recently learned about the african stories of Ananasi the spider.

Honi

Graybeard
I read Frank Buck's retelling of the Mahabarata and the Ramayana some years ago and enjoyed them. I look forward to your posts.