Interesting facts about the first ladies

Helga

History is quite interesting, especially when you learn some lesser known facts. For example, did you know that Martha Washington was the first lady to appear on a postage stamp, and that Helen Taft was quite unconventional, talk about a non-conformist! Do you have any facts you would like to share?

Vince

You're right about Helen Taft, she was quite a character for the time. I also find Florence Harding's story to be interesting, especially the conspiracy theory about her possibly poisoning her husband. My favorite nickname for a first lady is "Lemonade Lucy", which is the nickname for Lucy Hayes. I believe she got the nickname because she supported the temperance movement. I like the alliteration of the nickname, although I'm not exactly a fan of the temperance movement. :p

Pegasus

Some first ladies seemed rather strict and stern. For instance, Sarah Polk would not allow card playing or dancing in the White House. Abigail Adams was a First Lady with many "Firsts". She was the first woman to both the wife of a President, and the Mother of a President, as well as be the first one to live in the White House.