jack and the beanstalk?

tater03

jack and the beanstalk?

wasn't Jack and the Beanstalk considered a fairytale? My son had a project in school last year on fairytales. My husband tried to tell me it wasn't considered a fairytale. what do you guys think?

Melos

I think it was definately a fairy tale? Why wouldn't it be? It had a giant, which was definately a mythological creature.

palefrost

Dictionary definition of the word here:

fairy tale 

1. a story, usually for children, about elves, hobgoblins, dragons, fairies, or other magical creatures.
2. an incredible or misleading statement, account, or belief: His story of being a millionaire is just a fairy tale.

Sounds like one to me.

tater03

thank you. I never doubted it was, now i can show this thread to my husband. Maybe then he will believe me when i say it is a fairytale

LilOne1989

I always thought that it was a fairy tale. It is told in many different variations from different cultures but the story is always the same meaning. I also think it tells an important message that you can achieve great things from little of nothing.

jason

empty
I consider it a fairy tale. It is kind of like Paul Bunyan. Its more of a morden day fairy tale.

doodlebug

I would say it is a fairy tale. A giant, magic beans, castle in the sky, goose laying golden eggs...doesn't get much better than that.

Melos

Hmm. I never considered its message to be that you could achieve great things from little or nothing. I was always rather disturbed by the tale as a youth. "But you aren't supposed to steal, Mommy." Jack robbing the giant bothered me a lot more than him killing the giant at the end.

Nadai

jack and the beanstalk?

wasn't Jack and the Beanstalk considered a fairytale? My son had a project in school last year on fairytales. My husband tried to tell me it wasn't considered a fairytale. what do you guys think?
Maybe your husband doesn't consider it a fairytale because it didn't have a happy ending. I suppose Jack was happy in the end but the giant was murdered and had his belongings stolen...

RLynn

Hmm. I never considered its message to be that you could achieve great things from little or nothing. I was always rather disturbed by the tale as a youth. "But you aren't supposed to steal, Mommy." Jack robbing the giant bothered me a lot more than him killing the giant at the end.
Same here.

Caburus

What did your husband think it is, if not a fairy tale. Is it because there are no fairies in it?

Myrddin

The stealing bother's you more than the murder?! Killing the giant is a lot worse than stealing from him; and that's not to say that stealing from the giant wasn't right. It's just that killing outweighs stealing. So much seems to be wrong with Jack. First he steals from, then he kills, the giant. He is no hero. If anything, he would be the villain, the giant the victim.

E. M.

Myrddin

"Jack and the Beanstalk" is a fairy tale written by Joseph Jacobs, the same author who wrote "The Three Little Pigs" as well as "Molly Whuppie". There are a few known fairy tales which came from him, or are attributed to him at least.

Here's a little bit about the guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Jacobs

E. M.

Nadai

The stealing bother's you more than the murder?! Killing the giant is a lot worse than stealing from him; and that's not to say that stealing from the giant wasn't right. It's just that killing outweighs stealing. So much seems to be wrong with Jack. First he steals from, then he kills, the giant. He is no hero. If anything, he would be the villain, the giant the victim.

E. M.
Agreed. So no happy ending... Isn't that what makes a fairytale? The good guy wins and the bad guy loses and everyone goes home happy.

Myrddin

Agreed. So no happy ending... Isn't that what makes a fairytale? The good guy wins and the bad guy loses and everyone goes home happy.
Sorry, but I need to correct you on just one thing. Often in fairy tales, it ends rather grim. I mean, yes, the hero or good guy usually wins out against the villain, but usually at a cost. For example, take a look at The Little Mermaid. It does not end nicely. When the prince chooses another woman over her, she has to make a choice between killing the prince in order to get her tail back, or die. I'll leave you to ponder which path she chooses (I don't like to give away endings). But either way, it's grim. Also, look at The Robber Bride Groom, Little Red Riding Hood (Perrault's), Bluebeard, and Cinderella or Aschenputtle (both) for more examples. They don`t all necessarily have unhappy endings, but at the very least the story itself is rather grim. As Jack Zipes, a fairy tale aficionado, has said, fairy tales were never meant for children.

E. M.

Caburus

"Jack and the Beanstalk" is a fairy tale written by Joseph Jacobs, the same author who wrote "The Three Little Pigs" as well as "Molly Whuppie". There are a few known fairy tales which came from him, or are attributed to him at least.

Here's a little bit about the guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Jacobs

E. M.
Jack and the Bean Stalk was rewritten/collected by Joseph Jacobs in his 1890s books, like the Grimms wrote/collected their stories. The story existed before him. In older versions, the giant had killed Jack's father (unknown to Jack or his mother), thus excusing the theft and murder as just deserts.

Nadai

Sorry, but I need to correct you on just one thing. Often in fairy tales, it ends rather grim. I mean, yes, the hero or good guy usually wins out against the villain, but usually at a cost. For example, take a look at The Little Mermaid. It does not end nicely. When the prince chooses another woman over her, she has to make a choice between killing the prince in order to get her tail back, or die. I'll leave you to ponder which path she chooses (I don't like to give away endings). But either way, it's grim. Also, look at The Robber Bride Groom, Little Red Riding Hood (Perrault's), Bluebeard, and Cinderella or Aschenputtle (both) for more examples. They don`t all necessarily have unhappy endings, but at the very least the story itself is rather grim. As Jack Zipes, a fairy tale aficionado, has said, fairy tales were never meant for children.

E. M.
;)I know what you mean, but I was definitely referring to the children's versions.

Myrddin

;)I know what you mean, but I was definitely referring to the children's versions.
Ah, yes, the most popular ones have been updated to include a children's audience. I wonder who originally did that - without bothering to change the titles. :mad: I just have a rule that, when a story is rewritten, you change the title as well. Because it's not the same story, and otherwise becomes confusing. You know, some would start to think that "Little Red Riding Hood", (Perrault) ends happy, when in fact it ends rather grim. "Little Red Cap" (Grimm) on the other hand has a happy ending -- which is sometimes mistakenly attributed to "Little Red Riding Hood". Those two seem to be the most confused, though I'm sure there are others. Partially, thanks to Disney. :rolleyes:

E. M.