jack and the beanstalk?

Myrddin

Jack and the Bean Stalk was rewritten/collected by Joseph Jacobs in his 1890s books, like the Grimms wrote/collected their stories. The story existed before him. In older versions, the giant had killed Jack's father (unknown to Jack or his mother), thus excusing the theft and murder as just deserts.
I didn't say the story didn't exist before him -- a lot of fairy tales go as far back as Aesop. What I was saying, or meant to say, is that "Jack and the Beanstalk" is most notable as coming from him. But, both what Jacobs added to the pre-existing story and the title he chose are his, and his alone. In essence, of course, Jacbs pushed the story, along with many others I'm sure, through an evolutionary stage.

Sorry for any confusion.:D

E. M.

Nadai

Ah, yes, the most popular ones have been updated to include a children's audience. I wonder who originally did that - without bothering to change the titles. :mad: I just have a rule that, when a story is rewritten, you change the title as well. Because it's not the same story, and otherwise becomes confusing. You know, some would start to think that "Little Red Riding Hood", (Perrault) ends happy, when in fact it ends rather grim. "Little Red Cap" (Grimm) on the other hand has a happy ending -- which is sometimes mistakenly attributed to "Little Red Riding Hood". Those two seem to be the most confused, though I'm sure there are others. Partially, thank s to Disney. :rolleyes:

E. M.
Yeah that is annoying. And confusing. I haven't read the Perrault stuff I don't think... I'm not as into the grim and creepy as you;) :p:D