Jack-O'-Lantern

jason

empty
Jack-O'-Lantern

Jack of the Lantern is a term that appeared in print in 1750. The term was used to describe a night watchman or a man carrying a lantern. Before then, it was used to describe a strange light that would flicker over marshes in Ireland. These lights always seem out of reach when approached. This was also known as will o' wisp, and Ignis Fatuus (Foolish Fire).

The morden day pumpkin carving or Jack O' Lanterns come from a Irish folklore of a story about a drunkard named Jack.

Jack was supposedly and Irish blacksmith. He was a crafty person who loved a drink. Sadly though he had some bad luck at a pub on Halloween. You see, Jack had a bit too much to drink, and was about to be meet the Devil in Hell. But ever so quickly he made a bargin with the Devil for one last drink. The Devil then too shape of some coin so Jack could buy one last drink. But Jack pocked the coin in a bag with a silver cross, knowing that the Devil couldn't revert form. Once under Jacks thumb, the Devil agreed not to come for Jack's soul for another 10 years.

So 10 years pass and the Devil and Jack meet on a country road. The Devil told Jack he was here for his soul. Jack pretended to comply, but asked the Devil for an apple from a nearby apple tree first. The Devil then climbed the tree to get an apple. Jack and his quick thinking then carved a Cross into tree's trunk. The Devil was unable to come back down, and Jack made another agreement with him. This time he made the Devil promise he would never take his soul.

Well one cannot simply live forever and one day Jack finally passed away. But when he went to Heaven he was dismissed due to his drinking, tricking and miserly ways. Jack then went to Hell, but true to his word, the Devil refused to take him. The Devil told him to go back to where you came from. The way back was dark and windy, so Jack pleaded with the Devil to grant his some light to find his way. In a manner unlinke the Devil, he tossed jack an ember from the fires of Hell. Jack shielded the ember in a turnip he had been eating and left Hell to wander back.

Since that time, Jack has been doomed to wander in the darkness alone with his lantern.

This has lead to the fear of Jack or other deceased people venturing back to the warmth of their previous homes on Halloween. Originally Irish villagers would carve or paint faces on turnips, potatoes, rutabagas, or beats and place them in windows and doors to chase away ghosts. When the Irish came to America, they carried this tradition. They also discovered that the pumpkin was easier to carve and paint instead of a turnip. Today this is one of the most popular symbols of Halloween.

vicki2

I never knew the origin so that was a great read! Thanks.

I found it interesting living in Scotland that pumpkins are few and far between ... I learned that last Thanksgiving when I wanted to make a pie! So it makes sense that it was originally turnips.

palefrost

In the states we use the yellowish pumpkins to cook with. The meat is easier to work with inside when you scoop it out. The really orange ones dont cook well at all.

vicki2

At the moment, I'm in the land of pumpkins ...the Northeast US ...they're everywhere, but I never knew that about the paler ones. Thanks for the hint.

harleysneak

This was very interesting to ready and thanks for the tip about the color of pumpkins. Every year after Halloween I freeze our pumpkins to make pumpkin pie. However, I guess the carving kind aren't the best ones to make it out of. Oh well, it's always tasted good! :)

vicki2

Out of curiosity since I've never frozen pumpkin ...what's the process you use? I do love pumpkin pie and I make a mean pumpkin cheesecake too.

Melos

WOw! Very cool. I'm definately sharing this one with the kids for their origins of Halloween lessons!

Imagine a bunch of carved turnips on people's front stoops. LOL!

Myrddin

The seeds from the carving pumpkins are always good roasted, though I didn't get to do that this year. Oh, well.

Mmmm... pumpkin cheesecake.