King arthur

RLynn

I'm watching the Michael Wood series In Search of Myths and Heroes. The episode on King Arthur was excellent! I may have to watch that one again.

Rhonda Tharp

I'm watching the Michael Wood series In Search of Myths and Heroes. The episode on King Arthur was excellent! I may have to watch that one again.
Was the series on a particular channel or a Netflix/blockbuster kind of thing? I've never caught the series before, but it sounds interesting.

Myrddin

I'd have loved to see that! Would it be on again? When and where?

LegendofJoe

I should see that. I went through a period of reading a lot of Arthurian literature.
I think one of the few major works I have left to read is The Once and Future King by T.H.White. Has anyone read it?
I believe the double d in Welsh is something like a th sound. Is that how he pronounced it?

Myrddin

I think one of the few major works I have left to read is The Once and Future King by T.H.White. Has anyone read it?
I have it, though I haven't yet read it. It is a collection of four books: The Sword in the Stone, The Queen of Air and Darkness, The Ill-Made Knight, and The Candle in the Wind. I'm thinking I might read The Sword in the Stone after I finish my current book.:)

LegendofJoe

I think my favorite Arthurian stories are from the Mabinogion. They are short but powerful stories.
Chretian's treatments of these same stories (Owain, Peredur, Geraint/Erec), are wonderful and more developed, but I like
the simplicity and quirkiness of the Welsh versions.
And of course, the Mabinogion has Chlhwch and Olwen, a strange pagan infested tale not found anywhere else.
My next favorite is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Myrddin

I think my favorite Arthurian stories are from the Mabinogion. They are short but powerful stories.
Chretian's treatments of these same stories (Owain, Peredur, Geraint/Erec), are wonderful and more developed, but I like
the simplicity and quirkiness of the Welsh versions.
And of course, the Mabinogion has Chlhwch and Olwen, a strange pagan infested tale not found anywhere else.
My next favorite is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
"The Story of Sir Gawaine" is one of my favourites, too. Love it! I used it in a comparative essay a few years back, comparing the Green Knight to Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter.

Myrddin

And what was your conclusion?
It was just one paragraph of the essay, in which I compared their methods of immortality. The same idea is there, in fact, they are almost near identical. First, they both go on the assumption that a part of you must remain earthbound, and secondly, the Green Knight's item in question is the same as one of the items that Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter uses. Those are the main things.

Argus

The Michael Wood documentary in search of myths and heroes on King Arthur can be found in full on youtube, along with Jason and the golden fleece and Shangri-la.