Learning history

justbelieve

I think it's a great thing for kids to learn all about their local history. What are some good ways to teach our kids? Of course they have to be fun ways as we all know history is not all that exciting at times.

greekgoddess31

I think that taking them to local places that have historical significance is a great first step. Do some research and find out if there were any battles there, or if there were any famous crimes/criminals, haunted areas. There are so many interesting ways to teach them history.

Rhonda Tharp

I've taught history for 14 years, and I've noticed whenever there are hands-on activities, activities that allow their creativity, or activities that allow them to justify, argue or get emotionally involved, it stays with them the longest.

Libros

Start with your own family's history, give them a good awareness of who they are, who were the people that got them to where they are today. Do a family tree activity and invite the entire family to participate, have the older ones bring objects from their childhoods to show the kids and have the kids show them their things.

justbelieve

Awesome tips you guys - thanks! I am going to do some research this week and see what I can dig up. My grandpa used to take me all over and show me different things, so I will start there. I can't wait to see what I dig up and it will be learning it all over again for me.