Moth man

Dianna

My kids keep going on and on about moth man and seem to think he lives close by. Moth Man sounds familiar but I can not place it. Can someone explain to me who or what Moth Man is?

TheReaper

They made a movie about this a while back. It was called the Mothman Prophecies and I think it starred Richard Gere. It was a pretty scary movie and supposedly based on a true story. If I remember correctly, the Mothman is some kind of demonic-type being and if you see him/it you will go insane and eventually die from the madness. I think the story takes place in West Virginia. For anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me :)

Dianna

I see. So is it a creature that is part moth and part man? Also, why would seeing him make me go insane? Are there any reports of Moth Man actually hurting people.

Sasquatch

Well, there is speculation from quite a few of the local residents that he either warned of the Silver Bridge collapse or caused it in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. There were a lot of sightings also and one of the first was at a local power plant that has since been torn down. There were quite a few killed when the bridge collapsed and there have reputedly be sightings of him since then but not as many as before the collapse of the bridge. Here is a website that has some information about the MothMan and the Native American Chief Corn Stalk who is said to have cursed the area and it's people many years before.

http://www.mothmanmuseum.com/MothmanLives/mothmanhistory/history/mothmanhistory.html

Dianna

Wow, I have to admit that is pretty freaky. I kind of like the idea that moth man was trying to protect the little girl. I dunno though, maybe that is just wishful thinking. Don't know if I believe it or not but I sure see why my kids are fascinated with him.

Sasquatch

Yeah, I have a friend who goes to the Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant every year. He's a professional parapsychologist and loves stuff like this. He is very hard to convince though. They have to have concrete proof for him but this is one he is puzzled about.

Isabelle

Interesting! I have seen the movie before but I was not aware that it was based on truth and not fiction. It was a scary movie I know that! Now I will have to watch it again after doing alittle more research.

Dianna

I just realized that when I was in school the place where we spent band camp was close to there. In fact it was right across the river, we used to go to Point Pleasant for our night out. It did not click with me until I map quested it! I spent all that time camping in the woods where Moth Man supposedly lives and nothing weird ever happened. I am disappointed.