Mothers in mythology

Pegasus

With Mother's Day being tomorrow, thought it might be fun to pay tribute to her here in the forum. Do you have a favorite Mother in Mythology, and if so, which one?

Travis

I think most women in mythology are mothers. Anyway, my favorite is Marry the Mother. I know Christianity is not (yet) a myth (we have discussed this in another thread here), but still, she is my favorite mother. :)

Nadai

Mother Earth! ...And by Mother Earth I mean the first mother Gaia. She was the first god who created herself from chaos which shows how wicked she was. Her purpose in life was to create balance and maintain harmony in the universe. She is a healer and nurturer of all living things. She is my all time favorite mother; she's the epitome of a perfect mother.

Arachne

Humans have been fixated on mothers, well, for as long as we have existed. Carvings of stone-age "Venuses" from western Europe appear to depict nude mother-goddesses, that were worshipped and venerated to the point of fetish by their owners.

These carvings also give us a hint into what was attractive to people at that time; they are usually grossly overweight with enormous breasts, bellies, and buttocks. Considering they date to an era when many people may well have been starving to death, or practicing cannibalism, a fat woman was regarded as a very tangible sign of divine favor and prosperity.

Nadai

Humans have been fixated on mothers, well, for as long as we have existed. Carvings of stone-age "Venuses" from western Europe appear to depict nude mother-goddesses, that were worshipped and venerated to the point of fetish by their owners.

These carvings also give us a hint into what was attractive to people at that time; they are usually grossly overweight with enormous breasts, bellies, and buttocks. Considering they date to an era when many people may well have been starving to death, or practicing cannibalism, a fat woman was regarded as a very tangible sign of divine favor and prosperity.
Actually men still find women with supple bodies attractive; it's our baser instinct that makes men look for women with larger frames. They subconciously look for a mate with large hips and legs and breasts and butt and plenty of meat on their bones...those are all qualities that a woman needs to be able to carry children... when a guy wants a one night stand she doesn't need those qualities, but when he's looking for the mother of his future children he tends to seek out those traits. Women do the same. They subconciously look for a man that they know will be strong and pleasing and be able to support and care for their children physically.

Isis

Actually men still find women with supple bodies attractive; it's our baser instinct that makes men look for women with larger frames. They subconciously look for a mate with large hips and legs and breasts and butt and plenty of meat on their bones...those are all qualities that a woman needs to be able to carry children... when a guy wants a one night stand she doesn't need those qualities, but when he's looking for the mother of his future children he tends to seek out those traits. Women do the same. They subconciously look for a man that they know will be strong and pleasing and be able to support and care for their children physically.
I don't know if that's as true as it used to be. Fat hate is now so prevalent in our culture that I think many men are more likely to choose thinner women, although I suppose large breasts will always be in demand. ;)

Nadai

I don't know if that's as true as it used to be. Fat hate is now so prevalent in our culture that I think many men are more likely to choose thinner women, although I suppose large breasts will always be in demand. ;)
I said larger, not obese...I agree with the breast statement.

Travis

Anyway, my favorite is Marry the Mother. I know Christianity is not (yet) a myth (we have discussed this in another thread here), but still, she is my favorite mother. :)
Interesting. If Christianity was just a myth, Mary the Mother would be my favorite mother in mythology. If it was not, she would still be my favorite mother in history. She is the best.