Mythical figure signifying 'can't escape the past.'

Richard Powell

I'm researching for a themed photo shoot, theme being 'the difficulty of escaping one's past.'

Contemporary folklore would be easy: Silvio from the Sopranos doing his Michael Corleone impression in the mirror: 'I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in!'

It's a theme that marches through time, from Greek Drama to Sophie's Choice to, of course, the Godfather / Sopranos gangster genre. But I'm looking a FEMALE representation of this theme, drawn from Greek myth preferably, though any culture would be fine.

If there were a Fury signifying 'past actions and past relationships from which one can't dissociate one's self,' I'd be golden, but only if there were a story with rich details from which I could derive visual elements.

Last edited:

Sarfaraj

Most of us are well aware of those surprising heroics of ancient Greek gods. But the goddesses from ancient Greek mythology are none astragal at all both in terms of popularity and symbolic magnitude. Just like the Olympian gods, most of the ancient Greek goddesses transmigrate in the realms of heavens above mountain Olympus (though there were quite a few exceptions too). The goddess too had particular powers and could also control particular aspects of life. From the motherly Rhea who presume to trick her own husband to save her children, to the queen of gods Hera or the goddess of intelligence Athena who was much revered by the gods and mortals alike, the ancient Greek goddesses were as much of a heavenly force to be reckoned with as were the gods.

Greek Goddesses Names