New year's eve traditions and mythology

Camma

"In with the old - out with the new" - I suppose the declaration of resolutions for the year to come is one of the most overused (and ill kept) traditions.

A pleasanter one - and porbably easier to keep - is to kiss somebody at midnight. I guess it depends on who you're kissing and the nature of the kiss !

What traditions will you be keeping ? What myths do you associate with New Years ?

DLegend

My aunt is very superstitious and so also has one for new year's eve. One of her superstitions is to never broom the house at the very first day of new year because you might sweep away luck.

As for new year's resolution, I stopped doing it because it is hard to commit and do them. When I make resolutions, I do it right there and then and I will not wait for new year to arrive to make that resolution.

RLynn

I don't do new years resolutions. Anyhow, the new year is just a calendar change, kind of arbitrary actually. I can't relate to it very well. The vernal equinox or winter solstice would be more appropriate times to begin a 'new year'. I guess I'm sort of a pagan at heart.

Goldie

I also do not do resolutions as they just get tossed out anyway. I do believe in one thing, which I may or may not do, and that is simply that what you do the first day of the year can set the tone for the rest of the year. It's the first day of making something a good habit.

Chintai

In Britain there are various New Year traditions that seem to be based in myths about good fortune. One that comes to mind is the concept of 'first footing', where a tall, dark, handsome man should be the first to enter your house after midnight.