Other main villains besides loki?

Vince

I think Loki is a great villain, but are there others that stand out? I'm also familiar with Ymir and the frost giants, but I believe they were mostly killed off early in the Norse timeline.

How about Surt(not that sure in the spelling), leader of the fire giants? he owns a flaming sword and he's one of the few responsible for destroying the midgard. but he was killed, too, in Ragnarok.

Myrddin

There's also Fenrir, the wolf, and Jormungandr, the world serpent, both children of Loki. All the gods decided that they could trust neither one, and that both would play crucial parts in the war of Ragnarok. Which is how Fenrir came to be bound to the rock, and Jormungandr thrown into the sea, I think hoping that he would drown.

Rhonda Tharp

Aw man, I'm a fan of the trickster... I don't know that I would label Loki a villain. Read "Trickster Makes this World" - it is a great analysis of the trickster archetype and how they are literally caught between two worlds. Tricksters are gods of the crossroads, the in-between, and they are necessary to make heroes and villains out of others. To cause mischief brings about joy, pain, mayhem and even the arts.

Myrddin

I like the trickster too. Both Loki and Coyote from Native American mythology are my two favourites.

LegendofJoe

Tricksters vary I suppose.
Loki started off as a trickster, but then his antics turned him more into a villain.
Some tricksters don't progress that far, even if their pranks could get out of hand.

Vince

"Trickster Makes this World" sounds like a great book, I'll have to try to find that one. I tend to agree with LegendofJoe about Loki though. It seems to me that Loki starts out as a trickster, but evolves into more of a villain. I'm still pretty new to Norse mythology, but Loki is my favorite character so far.

Thanks for the suggestions about Surtr, Fenrir, and Jormungandr. I just looked them up, and they seem pretty cool. I look forward to reading more about these characters.

Myrddin

"Trickster Makes this World" sounds like a great book, I'll have to try to find that one. I tend to agree with LegendofJoe about Loki though. It seems to me that Loki starts out as a trickster, but evolves into more of a villain. I'm still pretty new to Norse mythology, but Loki is my favorite character so far.

Thanks for the suggestions about Surtr, Fenrir, and Jormungandr. I just looked them up, and they seem pretty cool. I look forward to reading more about these characters.
I quite like Jormungandr. Mostly because he is so huge, and just the size of one of his eyes would be so intimidating.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film