Pandora's box

Ronnie

I love the story of Pandora's box and the last thing to come out of that box. Zeus had a daughter made of clay and sent her to be a wife to Epimetheus, who was a kind but lonely man. Zeus was angry with Epimetheus because Epimetheus' brother gave the world fire without seeking Zeus' permission first. He gave Epimetheus the key to the box and told him not to open the box thinking Epimetheus' curiousity would get the better of him and he would open it. He never did. Then, one night while Epimetheus was sleeping, Pandora got the key to the box and opened it. Out flew War, Disease, Envy, Crime and all of the other bad things in the world. She quickly closed the box and woke Epimetheus with her crying. She told him that she had tried to close it quickly and catch the bad things but she couldn't catch them quickly enough. She opened the box to show him and noticed one more small bug in the box. She started to close it again to catch the bug in the box but the bug got out anyway. The bug gave her a nod of thanks while staying just out of her reach. The bug thanked her for letting him out and told her his name was Hope. Off flew Hope, the smallest bug into the world with all of the bad things. I'm so glad Hope was successful in getting out.

Pegasus

I am glad Hope was able to make it out too! Seems Hope is a bit outnumbered though. Really wish that curiousity did not get the better of Pandora. That is one box that you would not mind keeping locked and throw away the key!

Ronnie

Isn't that the truth. I am a bit concerned that Hope was a bit smaller than Disease, War, Envy and Crime too. But if Hope only has a spark, then everything will come around right. :)

This story has always been one that fascinated me. Usually when it's told, however, Hope is left at the bottom (in fact, the only place I've seen reference to the bug was on a children's myth site). It always confused me, wondering if that meant that hope remained or that hope was still stuck in the box, unable to come out into the world. I've explored this question in my writing.

Nadai

This story has always been one that fascinated me. Usually when it's told, however, Hope is left at the bottom (in fact, the only place I've seen reference to the bug was on a children's myth site). It always confused me, wondering if that meant that hope remained or that hope was still stuck in the box, unable to come out into the world. I've explored this question in my writing.
In Edith Hamilton's Mythology she wrote that Hope remained... I always thought that Hope was trapped in the box, but then I wondered how Pandora knew it was Hope if it was trapped in the box...Every story is interpreted differently, even by the writers.

Myrddin

It wouldn't make sense for hope to still be trapped in the box, because if it were, we would be without it. Right? Therefore, it has to have gotten out because otherwise we wouldn't even know what it is now.

Myrddin

I've always seen a vague similarity between this story and the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible.
Ah, right. With the temptation of the apple, and the end result of the two of them being thrown out of the garden. There are definitely some parallels between the two stories.

Toni

I share this myth with students each year and it is one of their favorites. Mine too for that matter. Greek Mythology is just another way to explain naturally occuring phenomenon in everyday life. A world without hope would be a sad world indeed. Yes, Pandora was not wise to open that box. But then, if she hadn't, we would not have the story. LOL. :)

Isis

It was foolish of her, but really it's pretty messed up for a god to give something to a mortal and say, "OK but you must never open/see/eat this". Gods know humans are curious and will eventually yield to temptation.

Myrddin

It was foolish of her, but really it's pretty messed up for a god to give something to a mortal and say, "OK but you must never open/see/eat this". Gods know humans are curious and will eventually yield to temptation.
Maybe that was partially the idea. The gods were pretty mad when they created both Pandora and the box. Also/or they were blinded to that fact by their fury.

jerri

I think Hope was at the bottom of all the bad things because you have to search to find hope if you're going through bad things and sometimes you close the box before you realize it's there hidden away.

That's kind of harsh. ...Who else is on it?
It's harsh?? WEll yeah maybe a bit but I mean really?? The gods said not to open it OH LOOK A BOX *open* OH NO!!!!
*facepalm*

1.NARCISSUS!!!! (*shudder*)2.Apherdiote
3.Dionysus
4. Pandora
5.Midas
6.Arachne
7.Paris
8.Helen
9.Minos
10. Zeus' Wives

I suppose this is just a list of SOME OF the people I hate but......

Myrddin

That's kind of harsh. ...Who else is on it?
It's harsh?? WEll yeah maybe a bit but I mean really?? The gods said not to open it OH LOOK A BOX *open* OH NO!!!!
*facepalm*

1.NARCISSUS!!!! (*shudder*)2.Apherdiote
3.Dionysus
4. Pandora
5.Midas
6.Arachne
7.Paris
8.Helen
9.Minos
10. Zeus' Wives

I suppose this is just a list of SOME OF the people I hate but......
What did Aphrodite, Arachne, and Helen do to get on your list?!?

Well Apherdiote and Helen are vain and frankly I just hate them. -sorry but it's true
and plus the goddess of LOVE AND BEAUTY. It may be nessecary but come on!
(I have a 3 page rant)
And Arachne challenged the GODDESS OF WEAVING who invented weaving to a weaving contest. SHES AND IDIOT