President's homes

Pegasus

Presidents. They have all left their mark on history in one way or another. Sometimes in seeing their homes, you can gain a greater insight to the person. I have been entranced with the gilded age - late 1890s - through early 1900s. I was fortunate enough to visit the home of Theodore Roosevelt's - Sagamore Hill on Long Island, NY. It was a treat to see this magnificient home in its original splendor, with all the turn of the century gadgets. Have you visited any President's homes, or ever wanted to visit one? If so, which ones?

Rhonda Tharp

I've been to Monticello (Jefferson's home) in Charlottesville, Va four times. The man was a genius. The home's layout, construction and appearance all show Jefferson's intelligence. He tore it down twice before he built it and kept it that way the third time. He is my favorite president. I also lived down the street from his winter home in Poplar Forest - Lynchburg, VA for seven years. I've been to Monroe's house and Mt Vernon (Washington's house) but did not get a chance to tour them. I love learning about US History - and I teach the subject to 8th graders :)

Willowtree

That's wonderful! I have yet to visit any of the Presidential residences. I have been to Williamsburg, VA to see the nations capitol as it was in 1700-1780. I was entranced. I love that era!