The brothers Grim

palefrost

The brothers Grim

Did the brothers actually write the fairy tales themselves or just publish the works under their name?

Id love to learn more about them. If you have a good link or know of a good location on the web to read up more about them, please let me know. :)

Slashmire

Hmm good question... did any of the tales had anything to do with the movie by the same name, or was that something completly different.

palefrost

From what i heard yes, the movie is a take on the brothers lives. I haven't seen it though because im not a big movie goer and im to cheap to buy the DVD since i didnt hear anything great about it.

Slashmire

Well from what I heard, and what majority of critics seems to say is that it wasn't a big deal ...oh well never intended to watch it anyway...

Sasodara

~~bLooDsTaInEd~~
Yes, I believe they did.

My favorite of their fairy tales is the hare and hedgehog. Haha I did a report on that for my class and got an A on it! ^^

enchantress

That's really informative, i never would've thought that the Brothers Grim's aim was to create a national identity for the German people. Excellent post frang

lefterian

Hello,
The Grimm's fairy tales are folk tales of Germany. The Grimm brothers did the great work of collecting them from many sources. The first collection (if I am right) was a simple group only with little 'touches' in language and expressions. After that, a new edition followed, in which they 'cleared' the docs from some violence or other 'things' that may hurt children and they added (sometimes) precepts, for the good of children again. However, they respected the folk tales in a great manner. That's all I know.

Now, I think it's wrong to say that 'their aim was to create a national identity for the German people'. The truth (as I know it) is that they wanted to collect all the german fairy tales and tried to exclude tales from different nations from their collection.
A link for their life (from google) ishere.