The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Discussion in 'General Mythology' started by palefrost, Oct 20, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost New Member

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

While halloween approaches we should probably celebrate with one of the best legends of the season.

Ive seen the johnny depp movie on this and was lead to believe the story is based on fact. How true is that?
  2. Melos

Melos New Member

I saw that movie too - pretty good. I have also heard that the legend is based on fact, but I think MOST good legends are based on fact actually. If you cut right down to it, there is not really anything supernatural going on in the story.
  3. vicki2

vicki2 New Member

So much in Irving's story is real ...the locations, the descriptions (I live not too far from Sleepy Hollow) ...that it so adds to his fictional story. So, much of it is based on fact but not the headless part lol.
  4. palefrost

palefrost New Member

So the graves are there and the people were real? Im sure the horsemen part is made up but i still wonder how he died then and who turned it into a headless horsemen? Where did the writer come up with that? Interesting.
  5. TheFolklorist

TheFolklorist TheFolklorist

The Headless Horseman part of the story is based on a real legend from the area. You can read about it here.