The norse mythology

Swordmaster

Swordmaster
Aye, your wording an eloquence is not the greatest, though you're not horrible like others that I know of. However, your view on Norse Mythology is somewhat... narrowed. Yes, you mention quite a bit, but even some facts regarding the Ragnarok War were left out. And to be a little more specific, the outcome was the inevitable death of all the Gods, Goddesses, and Higher-Beings alike. Though, like you said, a few were spared, only a handful though. The one's who were pacifistic regarding the war and (in another version) the ones who were victorious in the Ragnarok War.

I think the first is true due to the true meaning of Ragnarok.

In any case, you also forgot the warriors housed in Valhalla join the fray, as well as the valkyries.

Oh, you also forgot to mention Asgard (Heaven), Midgard (Earth), and Utgard (Hell). Which are stationed accordingly on the world tree, Yggdrasil.

You also left out the normal Norse heroes as well as the legendary weapons like the Gae Bolgg and the universal 'Blade of Flames', the Flamberge.

Hm... that's all I'll say for the moment, but nice summary in any case.

Artemis

I don't get it? Where is the summary in the thread that is mentioned in Swordmaster's post? Is there supposed to be a link or I am missing something here?

Nella

I am also lost Artemis. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I was actually wanting to know about Norse Mythology not what was stated by hakthul (which was a little disturbing), but Swordmaster's reply didn't help me any either.

Artemis

As far as I know, Norse mythology concerns the Vikings and their Gods who lived in Valhalla. Thor is the God of Thunder and Odin is the Supreme God.

Boudica

Artemis that is probably the extent of my knowledge about Norse mythology as well. I think we are all a bit confused here, is there anyone here that can tell us a bit more about it?

yvette grimes

I can help people out about Norse Mythology. I've written a book called The Norse Myths which is the most complete retelling of the Norse Myths in the English language, so I'm fairly knowledgeable. What do you want to know?

Great! I have a collection of the myths as retold by Kevin Crossley-Holland. While his style is highly functional, informative, and even witty at some junctures, it is somewhat bland and colorless. It's still good for summer reading though, since it is very well researched and well written overall; but I am still looking for more mature prose. I found your book on Amazon and will order a copy, thanks! I do have a question though, concerning how Ragnarok functions. Baldur's dreams and then Baldur's murder hail the beginning of the end for the Aesir, right? Odin in his wisdom knows the outcome of Ragnarok; his point of prophecy concerning the subject seems to begin at the dawn of the last day and not before since he didn't see Baldur's fate coming at all. There are also general signs like a winter lasting 3(?) years that are known, by someone anyways, to be harbingers of doomsday. There are to be survivors of the battle too, but who knows this? Just Odin again? I guess my overall question is how does anyone, or Odin alone, know the events and outcome of Ragnarok? My retelling doesn't do a very good job of showing how all this information meets the narrator.

Thanks again!

LegendofJoe

Great! I have a collection of the myths as retold by Kevin Crossley-Holland. While his style is highly functional, informative, and even witty at some junctures, it is somewhat bland and colorless. It's still good for summer reading though, since it is very well researched and well written overall; but I am still looking for more mature prose. I found your book on Amazon and will order a copy, thanks! I do have a question though, concerning how Ragnarok functions. Baldur's dreams and then Baldur's murder hail the beginning of the end for the Aesir, right? Odin in his wisdom knows the outcome of Ragnarok; his point of prophecy concerning the subject seems to begin at the dawn of the last day and not before since he didn't see Baldur's fate coming at all. There are also general signs like a winter lasting 3(?) years that are known, by someone anyways, to be harbingers of doomsday. There are to be survivors of the battle too, but who knows this? Just Odin again? I guess my overall question is how does anyone, or Odin alone, know the events and outcome of Ragnarok? My retelling doesn't do a very good job of showing how all this information meets the narrator.

Thanks again!
Hi Old World American
I also read K. Crossley-Holland's book, in addition to others. Until Yvette Grimes gets back to you, maybe I can help.
Sometimes it is not always clear how certain mythological figures know things. In Germanic mythology in general there is a strong foreboding destiny that must be fulfilled and cannot be changed. Odin, by the very fact that he dedicated himself to acquiring knowledge would slowly accumulate what would happen at the end of time. One of his important sources is a sibyl that he conjures up to help him with his questions concerning Balder's death. He also sacrificed an eye to drink from the well of Mimir. Mimir also was wise and counseled Odin.
Come to think of it, even a mortal can learn alot about what's to come. In the Prose Edda, there is a long section called the Deluding of Gyfi. He is a king who comes across three heavenly beings who educates Gylfi in how the world was made and how it will be destroyed(the three winters and all).
This unfolding apparently cannot be stopped, and all it takes is someone dedicated enough to find out.
Hope that helped a bit.
In addition to Holland's book I really enjoyed an old book by Helene Guerber called Myths and Legends of the Norsemen.
I also recommend reading a translation of The Prose Edda. Jean Young's translation seems highly regarded.

LegendofJoe

Hmmm, very odd beginning to this thread. I believe Norse mythology has Scandinavian roots. Here is quite a lengthy, but informative link:
http://www.answers.com/topic/norse-mythology

I wasn't aware that they believe in nine worlds - that's kind of cool!
Off the top of my head the Nine worlds are: Midgard (earth), Asgard(heaven), Nifleheim(underworld), Utgard(giant's realm), Svartalfheim(dark elves land), Alfheim(white elves land), Nidevellir (Dwarf land), Vanaheim (vanir land, fertility gods) and Hel(division of Nifleheim).
The actual regions and how they are placed in the universe are not always consistent in the sources.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's deaths. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film