Trolls

Olsen

Does anyone know any details about trolls? No, not the ones on the internet. The ones from Norse mythology. The only thing I know is that they differ in form from legend to legend. They are either hairy hunchbacked monsters that live in the mountains and hills, or giant humans that resemble the ogres and sometimes pillage villages.

Myrddin

What I know about trolls, is that they are large gargantuan beasts. Here is my general depiction:
Giant ugly creatures which carry bludgeons, maces, or other weapons which can be used for clubbing and smashing. I like to categorize them into four different groups – bridge trolls, field trolls, forest trolls, and mountain trolls. They can range to being as short as 7 feet to as tall as 13 feet, depending on which clan they come from. None of them can swim.

My knowledge of trolls is... scarce. However, as a fanatic of the dark and ominous, I am drawn towards studying up about them.

LegendofJoe

Does anyone know any details about trolls? No, not the ones on the internet. The ones from Norse mythology. The only thing I know is that they differ in form from legend to legend. They are either hairy hunchbacked monsters that live in the mountains and hills, or giant humans that resemble the ogres and sometimes pillage villages.
Trolls are very popular souvenir items in Norway. I purchased a few when I was there.
They are common in Scandinavian folklore where they vary in size from dwarves to human sized, to giants.
They are ugly, and are said to turn to stone if they encounter sunlight, a feature they share with the dwarves of Norse myth.
This is why they live under the earth in caves.
They can be very dangerous if encountered, but they may be outwitted.
J. Simpson states that the word troll is very old and the meaning is obscure.
One possible meaning is that the word may mean spinning, or revolving.
Landmark features of the landscape are sometimes the doing of trolls; this is common in giant lore in general.
In modern Norway, trolls with tails that are sold to tourists are said to be girl trolls.
Big hairy ones are mountain trolls.
In one translation of the Edda that i have, the word troll is used to describe the giants of Jotunheim
that Thor battles. So I suppose the word can have a certain amount of flexibility.

Toni

Jan Brett does a fascinating job with trolls in her children's books. They are depicted as not unpleasant, rather mischievious little imp like characters that always get the humans in trouble. Her illustrations are wonderful as well.

Enertia

I recently enjoyed a Norwegian Mockumentary film about trolls. I believe the name of the movie was "The Troll Hunter". The movie is about a group of students in Norway, who set out to document a supposed bear poacher named Hans. When the students find Hans to do the interview, he tells them to go away, but they persist. They realize Hans is a troll hunter and the students tag along. Before they can join Hans asked if any of the people are Christians because trolls can smell a Christian and loves to eat them. It was a great movie and I suggest anyone interested in trolls to watch it.

I recently enjoyed a Norwegian Mockumentary film about trolls. I believe the name of the movie was "The Troll Hunter". The movie is about a group of students in Norway, who set out to document a supposed bear poacher named Hans. When the students find Hans to do the interview, he tells them to go away, but they persist. They realize Hans is a troll hunter and the students tag along. Before they can join Hans asked if any of the people are Christians because trolls can smell a Christian and loves to eat them. It was a great movie and I suggest anyone interested in trolls to watch it.
That film was recommended to me by a Norwegian friend of mine. I don't trust her recommendations on anything Norse, since she loathes Norwegian folklore and Norse mythology. Good to know it's worth watching.