Unicorns

Toni

I am currently reading a fiction book about unicorns in which they are described as being horrible, blood thirsty creatures that can only be killed by virgins. I can find nothing saying that they are horrible but then again, this book is fiction.

Olsen

I've always wondered whether any particular animal inspired the myth of unicorns. They are mentioned in the Bible, after all. Their absence in the modern world should not cause us to doubt their past existence. Eighteenth century reports from southern Africa described rock drawings and eyewitness accounts of fierce, single-horned, equine-like animals. Maybe some sort of species of horned horse became extinct sometimes in the ancient times...

jerri

I am currently reading a fiction book about unicorns in which they are described as being horrible, blood thirsty creatures that can only be killed by virgins. I can find nothing saying that they are horrible but then again, this book is fiction.
I've heard they were horrible and bloodthirsty too so it must have it's origins somewhere. A lot of really bloodthirsty things (like Grimm fairy tales) were adapted for children's ears later.

Isis

I've heard they were horrible and bloodthirsty too so it must have it's origins somewhere. A lot of really bloodthirsty things (like Grimm fairy tales) were adapted for children's ears later.
I'd never heard they were horrible creatures; how interesting! You are correct in that many aspects of fairy tales have been sanitized, but I hadn't realized unicorns were among them.

Toni

I agree about the fairy tales being adapted for children's ears. I digress here but have you read the version of Cinderella where the two step sisters cut off their heels to make the shoe fit? Gruesome!!

Enertia

I have read that gruesome version of Cinderella. I found the story better than the Disney version. I am curious as to the name of the unicorn book you are reading. I have never heard unicorns described as bloodthirsty. All my ideas of what unicorns are like, come from that unicorn movie from the eighties. I forgot the name of the movie, but Tom Cruise and a huge devil guy starred in it.

Myrddin

I have never hears unicorns described as blood thirsty either. Weird.

I have read that version of Cinderella. Grimm Brothers I believe. That version was titled "Aschenputtle".

LegendofJoe

I have read that gruesome version of Cinderella. I found the story better than the Disney version. I am curious as to the name of the unicorn book you are reading. I have never heard unicorns described as bloodthirsty. All my ideas of what unicorns are like, come from that unicorn movie from the eighties. I forgot the name of the movie, but Tom Cruise and a huge devil guy starred in it.
The movie was Legend.
Medieval lore has it that a cup made of unicorn horn can neutralize any poison.
Cups actually described has had some believe they were Narwhale tusks.

jerri

I agree about the fairy tales being adapted for children's ears. I digress here but have you read the version of Cinderella where the two step sisters cut off their heels to make the shoe fit? Gruesome!!
I had heard of it but haven't read it. I think in the original Hansel and Gretel the cottage was made up of bones and heads but I might be wrong.

Allie-Gator

Very interesting stuff. I've never heard of the unicorns being blood thirsty but the rest makes sense. I think that the tales were cautionary when they were started based on what people thought and the mythology of the time which they thoroughly believed.

Toni

Fairy Tales like nursery rhymes were geared toward the political atmosphere of the times. They were written to make a point without giving names and places. Almost a parable, if you will.

Perseus

I have heard briefly about unicorns being blood thirsty, interesting, I guess I always imaged them as sparkly white horses with a narwhal-type-horn.

Nadai

I've always wondered whether any particular animal inspired the myth of unicorns. They are mentioned in the Bible, after all. Their absence in the modern world should not cause us to doubt their past existence. Eighteenth century reports from southern Africa described rock drawings and eyewitness accounts of fierce, single-horned, equine-like animals. Maybe some sort of species of horned horse became extinct sometimes in the ancient times...
I'd never heard of unicorns being mentioned in the Bible. Could you point me to where in the Bible it mentions them, I would like to read that over. Very thirsty interesting.
As for blood-thirsty unicorns, I'd never heard of such a thing. It's very cool to think about how many different versions of the same stories there are. I love the comparison.
I've heard that the Grimm tales are pretty cool, but I've never taken a look at them. I saw the end of The Brothers Grimm movie. I'm very interested now; I guess I'll have to find these books.

I have a permanent collection of Anne McCaffery's "The White Dragon" series. It is very good and I still occasionally pick up the books to read again. It really makes you wonder if the unicorn really existed in the form we think of when we see the word. Since it's in the Bible, maybe it's an extinct animal like the DoDo bird. I go with dragons being benevolent and helpful. :)

Myrddin

I'd never heard of unicorns being mentioned in the Bible. Could you point me to where in the Bible it mentions them, I would like to read that over. Very thirsty interesting.
As for blood-thirsty unicorns, I'd never heard of such a thing. It's very cool to think about how many different versions of the same stories there are. I love the comparison.
I've heard that the Grimm tales are pretty cool, but I've never taken a look at them. I saw the end of The Brothers Grimm movie. I'm very interested now; I guess I'll have to find these books.
I believe there are 211 fairy tales written by the Grimm Brother's, though not all are authored by both of them. I believe Jacob Grimm wrote about 5 or 6 on his own. Somewhere around there. Just about any "Complete Tales of the Grimm Brothers'" will contain at least most of them, though if you can find the one introduced by Jack Zipes, with a lavendar colour-schemed cover, that would be the one that contains all 211. (I think it's third edition.)

Nadai

I believe there are 211 fairy tales written by the Grimm Brother's, though not all are authored by both of them. I believe Jacob Grimm wrote about 5 or 6 on his own. Somewhere around there. Just about any "Complete Tales of the Grimm Brothers'" will contain at least most of them, though if you can find the one introduced by Jack Zipes, with a lavendar colour-schemed cover, that would be the one that caontains all 211. (I think it's third edition.)

I actually looked the book up on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fairy-Tales-Brothers-All-New/dp/0553382160/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317576486&sr=1-1
Though the one I found has 240 or so stories I think, I read some of the reviews and some people said that a couple stories were repeats, I think, or at least very similar to others. I can't wait to order this book, I'm actually pretty excited to read it now, but also a bit nervous since it seems that some of these stories are pretty creepy. I guess I'll just have to be sure to read with all the lights on:D

Lucifer

Unicorns are an alien species of animal deposited here on Earth to save them from extinction. They are like really smart horses, but can be most annoying when they get themselves in trouble and expect the other inhabitants of their world to always save them. :) But one does it anyway because they are pretty to look at and good hearted beings just can't help being heroes once and a while.;)

Myrddin

I actually looked the book up on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fairy-Tales-Brothers-All-New/dp/0553382160/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317576486&sr=1-1
Though the one I found has 240 or so stories I think, I read some of the reviews and some people said that a couple stories were repeats, I think, or at least very similar to others. I can't wait to order this book, I'm actually pretty excited to read it now, but also a bit nervous since it seems that some of these stories are pretty creepy. I guess I'll just have to be sure to read with all the lights on:D
That's the exact book I meant. Have you read "The Robber Bride-Groom" yet? It's a pretty creepy one. "All Fur" is a good one as well. Definitely less creepy.