Wedding myths and superstitions

greekgoddess31

Having attended a wedding this weekend, I started thinking about all the superstitions and myths surrounding them. My favorite is that the wedding veil kept the bride hidden from evil spirits and/or would be abductors. What is your favorite?

Olsen

I think the contradictory myth regarding the (accidental) dropping of the wedding ring is somehow fascinating. On the one hand, dropping the wedding ring during the wedding ceremony is considered lucky (I heard it was something related to shaking out evil spirits hiding in the ring). On the other hand, whoever dropped the ring was said to be the first to die. Quite confusing... :confused:

Myrddin

I think the contradictory myth regarding the (accidental) dropping of the wedding ring is somehow fascinating. On the one hand, dropping the wedding ring during the wedding ceremony is considered lucky (I heard it was something related to shaking out evil spirits hiding in the ring). On the other hand, whoever dropped the ring was said to be the first to die. Quite confusing... :confused:
Is there anything to dropping the ring during the rehearsal, about being bad luck? In Corpse Bride, when Victor (Johnny Depp) drops the ring, the pastor (Christopher Lee) instantly proclaims, "Dropping the ring! This boy does not want to get married!"

I love wedding myths. There are some scary urban legends about weddings too. Have you heard about the bride who somehow got locked in a trunk and never showed to the wedding? They thought she ran off and they found her in the attic years later, still in her dress.

Isis

I guess that means it'll be a happy marriage until the dropper kicks the bucket. ;) I hadn't heard this myth but I'm rather glad neither of us dropped our rings. I haven't seen any evil spirits, anyway.

jerri

I had never heard that about the veil or the rings. Does anyone know why it's bad luck to see the groom? Is it something to do with coming to your sense? ;)

Allie-Gator

In Native American tradition, the blanket ceremony is practiced by quite a few tribes. The bride and groom arrive wrapped in separate blue blankets until the joining. After the spiritual elder blesses the union and then their relatives remove the blue blankets and envelop the couple in a single, white blanket under which they are supposed to embrace and share a kiss. The blanket is kept, usually displayed in the home or placed away carefully as a cherished heirloom.