What is your favorite tale from Greek Mythology?

jak80

What is your favorite tale from Greek Mythology?

What tale from Greek Mythology is your favorite now and does this differ from what was your favorite when you were younger?

LilOne1989

I think that Panadora's Box is an excellent story and lesson teacher even in todays fast paced world. It is always so important to slow down and take your time instead of being impatient and rushing into things without think through. The world would go more smoothly if more of us did that, myself included.

doodlebug

I think it's also a good reminder that gifts can unleash "demons", so give with caution.

For example, I know one teenage girl who gave her friend a pair of pierced earrings. Very nice earrings and the girl really liked them, but her mother wouldn't let her get her ears pierced until she was 16. So, while this girl really liked and appreciated the gift, it brought up some rather unpleasant feelings - jealousy at her friends who had pierced ears, anger at her parents, dispair with herself. But at the same time, she also found a glimmer of hope in knowing that in a year she would be old enough to wear them.

Maggielle

My favorite story is Persephone. I love the tales that explain modern day miracles and why things happen. Because persephone got tricked into eating in Hades we have the seasons.

Slashmire

I can't really pinpoint a single one...but the only one that comes to mind right now is Damocles and the sword.

I also have Gilgamesh in mind...but that's probably Norse.

frogg93

I would have to say Pandora's box is definitely a favorite, but I also like the story of the Trojan war. This too provides good life lessons :)

TinyStar

doodlebug;26 said:
I like Pandora's box. It's a good reminder that without hope, all the material "stuff" and magnificent gifts we may be given are really meaningless.
I agree with Doodlebug, mine has always been Pandora's Box.
Right next to the whole sordid affairs of Zeus or Prosperpine and her mother.

TSA

Easily the story involving Perseus and Medusa for myself. That was actually my first taste of Greek mythology believe it or not.

karenlyn

I love the tale of Cupid and Psyche. How she thought she was being fed to a giant monster, but it was actually cupid taking a bride. And how he would come to her in the night as a monster (so he said), but that she wasn't allowed to look at him. And she falls in love and so peeks at him and sees how beautiful and perfect he is... it's a beautiful story.

poopshoot47

Mythology Today

Hey I was just wondering if any of you knew anything in Greek mythology that is used today. For example in commercials or logos anything you see thats Greek mythology, i know something i have seen recently in an AIG commercial with pandoras box, but if anyone has any idea please post some things!

Thanks

aprilcanadian

A few interesting tidbits that are hard to find about Pandora.(im gonan write this as if no ones ever read it for those who havnt, although im sure many of you have)

First you need to know that Pandora came to us from a woman hater named Hesiod who wrote the theogany and the works and days. to hesiod there wasnt much worse then wimmin cus wimmin ruined everything!! *hes actually very funny for a rampant sexisit! Before pandora everything was wonderful! girls destroyed it all!

in it pandora didnt have a box but rather a jar. Hope was the only thing that didnt get let out...along with pestilance and plagues and other horrors. this was a GOOD thing becuase to the greeks hope was TERRIBLE. It was the worst thing in that jar! hope was cruel. we are all just playthings of the gods the last thing youd wanna do is hope!

pandora herself didnt mean to be evil...she was created curious and Zues knew that when he told her not to open the jar. she just had to peek!

~~Gilgamesh comes to us from the sumarians of mesopotamia

~~I wrote my thesis on "The Changing Face Of Homer" which included comparrisions of various translations and overviews of the odyssey and illiad amoung other things so I would have to say im a big fan of the trojan war too.

aprilcanadian

poopshoot47;391 said:
Hey I was just wondering if any of you knew anything in Greek mythology that is used today. For example in commercials or logos anything you see thats Greek mythology, i know something i have seen recently in an AIG commercial with pandoras box, but if anyone has any idea please post some things!

Thanks
Nike ~ named after Athena Nike

Tealight

And Ariadne!
Doomed to be almost forgotten though, I suppose.

My favourite Greek myth... hmmm, I would have to say Hephaestus's story, his abuse by Hera, his trickery of her, and his marriage to Aphrodite. It's a story of triumph, but a bitter, pointless triumph in which nothing is really gained.