Will it burn out?

magickz

Some local schools are wondering if Mythology teachings should be taken out of the school curriculum. Is this going on in other places or just the Bible Belt states?

Rhonda Tharp

Some local schools are wondering if Mythology teachings should be taken out of the school curriculum. Is this going on in other places or just the Bible Belt states?
Hello Magickz. I may be in the "buckle of the bible belt" - Texas... I've taught for 14 years, and the last 7 the school board had approved my mythology class for 8th graders. This year it got cut because of "funding" and because it is not a high school credit class. Many 7th graders were upset to learn that it was no longer offered...

I am also on the State (TX) Revision of Curriculum board for History. In 2009, I listened as 3rd grade teachers and state board members took out myths and legends, but 7th grade English/Language Arts kept a small unit on Greek myths. 9th grade English/Lang Arts also reads Edith Hamilton's "Mythology." That's it as far as the state of Texas goes, which makes me very sad...

I think there is a definite place in schools for this kind of literature. I want to someday develop a Humanities class for secondary grades. If you consider that Social Studies is more than the study of History, the Humanities class could absorb and enrich the social studies curriculum by adding the literature, art, poetry and metaphorical creativity that kids are actually interested in.
My former students loved seeing connections from the ancient myths to current pop culture. We used Joseph Campbell's Hero formula and Carl Jung's archetypal studies to analyze Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Matrix, Pirates, etc. We would read myths, then develop a present-day soundtrack as if it were a movie. Their song choices were incredible and very creative. They read Greek, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Hindu and some Chinese and Japanese myths, and commented on why this wasn't taught again in another grade level. I believe the local and state governments need to listen to their constituents - or future voters - and acknowledge an interest and need for this type of class.

Willowtree

I don't think it's as much a protest of any group in particular, it's just that public education is starting to become based more on teaching to get the kids through with as little education as they can get. Larger class sizes along with cuts in funding as well as a decrease in staff have led to these cuts in popular classes. If it's not 'readin, ritin, or 'rithmatic, it's not taught any more. If you can, see if you can find a copy of the exit exam of the 8th grade in about the 1880s or earlier and see if they are questions you can answer. I saw one once and it was very, very advanced. Some of the questions I had to look up to see what the answers were. People then were educated in all subjects and they covered EVERYTHING.

Rhonda Tharp

I don't think it's as much a protest of any group in particular, it's just that public education is starting to become based more on teaching to get the kids through with as little education as they can get. Larger class sizes along with cuts in funding as well as a decrease in staff have led to these cuts in popular classes. If it's not 'readin, ritin, or 'rithmatic, it's not taught any more. If you can, see if you can find a copy of the exit exam of the 8th grade in about the 1880s or earlier and see if they are questions you can answer. I saw one once and it was very, very advanced. Some of the questions I had to look up to see what the answers were. People then were educated in all subjects and they covered EVERYTHING.
Forgive me if I've already posted this link... check it out!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY - it shows the exponential growth of information and how kids that go to college may not be learning the most up-to-date information. The more we, as a society, know the more we are required by the state to "teach" to our students. Most kids were able to learn "everything" because information was limited as compared to what it is now. In the 1700s a person came across as much information as an entire New York Times in their entire lifetime. Take into account that rich, white males were able to devote more time to studying compared to others less fortunate. Thanks to Horace Mann, public education was created.

In regards to the statement about readin, ritin... I believe there could still be a place for myth in the "readin" curriculum. It's a conscious effort that legislators and curriculum developers need to make. They can suggest reading material for a particular grade level, and it could contain myth if they really wanted it to. (I think I have found my goal in life :) )

As a teacher, I feel we are teaching to a state test, and not helping students problem solve. Of course, budget cuts aren't helping either. My state, as others are all in a huge crisis at the moment. If only each district could find a corporate sponsor... or maybe have an actor/actress adopt a district instead of 7 more children... jmho...

greekgoddess31

Right on Joe! The Bible is a great book of mythology. I think that mythology is thought of as an elective much like music and the arts. It is sad to see all of these classes being cut due to funding.

Frumpy

I think it is crazy that anybody wants to burn books period. We live in an age in which we should have the freedom to believe in anything we want and worship anything we want also. I think they should concern themselves more with teaching the kids to read as to what they are reading.

Isis

I didn't get to take a mythology class when I was in school :( With all the pressure to teach to the test, teachers don't have time for elective subjects anymore, although I don't know why mythological stories couldn't be incorporated into English/reading classes.

Myrddin

My high school grade 11 English teacher taught Greek mythology as part of the class when I attended, but mind you that was a little more than ten years ago now. I'm sure it depends on the teacher sometimes too, what they teach you, because I know that same teacher that I had then also taught Shakepeare for the same class, yet he was the only English teacher who taught it at that level. So it really depends I guess.

I think mythology is definitely something that is important to learn, as it nearly always is used or referenced to in books and stories; it's hard not to refer these old stories. They're so captivating, and intriguing; and there are so many so even if you don't find one type particularly interesting, there is bound to be another type that does appeal to you. However, I digress. Back to the main point, mythology is important to learn because there are so many references in today's stories, that if we didn't learn about them, we wouldn't know what some of these authors are talking about, or would miss a point they are trying to make.