Witchy wolves

greekgoddess31

The story of the Witchy Wolf, which is a half dog, half wolf creature said to guard the graves of the Chippewa Indian warriors, is huge where I grew up. It is said that if you go out into the plains, a densely forested area along the Rifle River, you may just see these creatures. Has anyone else heard of these creatures before?

Allie-Gator

No, but I love the story! I know there is a legend of a woman who is a witch and she can turn herself into a wolf when she wishes. She manages to escape many times that way. I haven't heard it told in a long time so I've managed to forget a lot of the details but I always loved this legend because I wanted to be a wolf.

greekgoddess31

Growing up it was always somewhere you were double dog dared to go to. I have many friends that swear by it and there are several websites and even a documentary about it done by a local man. I was always too chicken to go out there myself.

Quentin Woolery

Sounds like something I would do GreekGoddess31. I love to wander around all the old graveyards and see what I can scare up. Sometimes I've seen things I can't explain.

greekgoddess31

I have definitely seen things I can't explain, but I sure don't go looking for trouble, Quentin. Those woods are creepy enough without having to worry about the witchy wolves coming for me.

WoodNymph

I had heard of the woman/wolf story, but not the half-dog/half-wolf story.

Do the witchy wolves choose when to change, or are they changed by the moon like werewolves?

Ladyhawk

I've never heard of these half dog/half wolves either. Are there any physical descriptions of the creature? As far as I know, you could always get 'witchy-wolves' just out of having a mutt with a parent that's a wolf. I'm reminded of Balto for some reason.

greekgoddess31

From descriptions and things people have given they are more like werewolves than Balto, Ladyhawk. There aren't any real photos that I know of but it has been featured on Discovery Channel's "A Haunting". More people describe the snarling, scary hyena like bark than anything else and it has scared the strongest jocks around my hometown.