Yokai and japanese myth

Yokai, scary or awesome?

• Scary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Awesome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Golden kappa

So let's talk about Yokai and japanese mythology.
(Btw I'm golden kappa the dude who's addicted to yokai i'm new)
Yokai are apparitions, demons or spirits in japanese mythology, some can be as scary as a women with a long neck (rokuro kubis), some can be as awesome as a nue or okami and some can even be really stupid like squirrels with giant ballsacks (which featured in pompoko along with a whole lot more colourful yokai) and a giant demon that demands you wash it's leg!
Some yokai come to annoy, scare or kill you, and some go about there natural business, however some have their own story to tell like "Yotsuya Kaiden" the story about a women (oiwa) who was murdered by her husband she then later appeared to him as a yokai who hid in lanterns and so did the other people her husband murdered, the kept on appearing to him all night.
Aside from yokai there's alot more going on in japanese mythology such as the nine-tailed-fox from Naruto and shiningami(a type of japanese grim reaper), they appeared in many anime and manga such as Bleach and Soul Eater.
So who here is interested in yokai and japanese myth?

Rhonda Tharp

I'm interested, but don't have a vast knowledge of it. I know the Amaterasu/Sosanowo myth, Kitsune and nine-tailed fox. I'm trying to remember if the Three Genjias was Japanese or Chinese...
The Yokai sound scary. I'd be interested in learning more about those. Reminds me of Confucius recording the rituals for paying respects to one's ancestors. If you do not respect your ancestors, sounds like the apparations could take revenge, well, then of course if they were murdered, I guess that's another matter...
Have you seen Akura Kirosawa's "Dreams?" If not, you need to check it out.

Golden kappa

I'm interested, but don't have a vast knowledge of it. I know the Amaterasu/Sosanowo myth, Kitsune and nine-tailed fox. I'm trying to remember if the Three Genjias was Japanese or Chinese...
The Yokai sound scary. I'd be interested in learning more about those. Reminds me of Confucius recording the rituals for paying respects to one's ancestors. If you do not respect your ancestors, sounds like the apparations could take revenge, well, then of course if they were murdered, I guess that's another matter...
Have you seen Akura Kirosawa's "Dreams?" If not, you need to check it out.
Ah thanks, I was looking for another yokai film to watch, looks interesting too.

raph felix

will have to check out that film ''Dreams''. but have you heard of ''THE GREAT YOKAI WAR''? thats another Yokai movie.

raph felix

its really good, sort of took that whole intro to goblins back in 86 with Labyrinth, then took Nightbreed and swung it around , dunked and kicked out hard. then we have something like TGYW . which is just wicked good. humorous. but at the same time full of weird characters. a psuedo kids movie. i do so love the japanese . i love japan. hell i think i am goin to learn the language. so i can visit there some day, and check out Kyoto.

Golden kappa

Yeah me to, I absolutely love everything about japan, even things that are meant to be bad like yokai I find fascinating.
I'm trying to learn japanese too.