The 20 greatest historical myths

magickz

Has anyone came across this on the net?

The 20 Greatest Historical Myths

It was an interesting find when I poked about this morning and it snagged my eye, some I have heard and some are a little new. I am almost amazed by some of the stuff I find online so I thought I would share. :)

Libros

Even today the myth of the "apple" as the forbidden fruit survives in its Latin name, malus, bad.

I've always thought that if the Trees of Life and Knowledge were created by God but forbidden to man, that their fruit would be of some unique, non-existent variety. That fruit was spiritual and bestowed supernatural consequences, while God gave Adam and Eve all of our familiar fruits and vegetables to eat for sustenance. The common apple harboring these awesome powers seems a little off.

Vince

That is an interesting article, I learned quite a few things from it. A lot of the information there I already knew, and would think many others would too. For example, I think it's fairly well known that Shakespeare didn't write the original story of Hamlet. I also doubt most people think Jesus was born on December 25. Whether or not you're a Christian, being able to pinpoint a birth that far in the past seems unlikely. There were a few on here that I had no idea about though. I didn't know that the Newton and Marie Antoinette stories weren't true. I also did think that Magellan traveled around the world. I guess we learn something new everyday.

That's a pretty interesting article. People always ask me why I'm so interested in reading books about witches in Salem being burned and I always have to correct them. I guess I'm really picky about some historical things. I try not to correct people all the time though!

Myrddin

That's a pretty interesting article. People always ask me why I'm so interested in reading books about witches in Salem being burned and I always have to correct them. I guess I'm really picky about some historical things. I try not to correct people all the time though!
How else are they supposed to learn? If someone gets something wrong, you should correct them about it. Then they know for future discussions. But, you know, if they keep getting it wrong, don't bang your head against the wall. Don't correct them about the same thing more than twice.

How else are they supposed to learn? If someone gets something wrong, you should correct them about it. Then they know for future discussions. But, you know, if they keep getting it wrong, don't bang your head against the wall. Don't correct them about the same thing more than twice.
That's true! I guess I just don't want them to think I'm being mean or picky. Good advice not to correct the same thing twice.

The other thing I'm picky about is Marie Antoinette and the "let them eat cake" statement.

Myrddin

That's true! I guess I just don't want them to think I'm being mean or picky. Good advice not to correct the same thing twice.

The other thing I'm picky about is Marie Antoinette and the "let them eat cake" statement.
I have not seen Marie Antoinette. Is it any good?

I have not seen Marie Antoinette. Is it any good?
Unfortunately the movie Marie Antoinette is still on my Netflix list. I've only read about her. I've heard great things about the film though. I think there are a couple films about her. I really need to watch them.

Myrddin

Unfortunately the movie Marie Antoinette is still on my Netflix list. I've only read about her. I've heard great things about the film though. I think there are a couple films about her. I really need to watch them.
I only about the one with Kirsten Dunst. I didn't even know there were others. (Shows what I know.):rolleyes:

I know about the Kirsten Dunst one as well but I think there's an older one! I don't know much about it either. I know that the details of her life are pretty controversial today and a lot of what we know about Marie Antoinette is just speculation.

Allie-Gator

I love to watch any of the movies about royalty. It's amazing what power they were gifted with. They had the power of life and death over everyone else, even their siblings. The king's had power over their queens as well. Think of the story of King Henry VIII. I've watched a lot of movies and read a lot about his life and you have to wonder what goes through a mind like that.

Dianna

The one about July 4th is pretty appropriate right now. I suppose we might have to celebrate independence day twice, July 4th and September 3rd! What do you think? :)

jerri

Amazing list. I'd love to print it out and show it to my nieces and nephews but with my luck they'd start getting history questions wrong or trying to challenge the teacher. I know the Church of Latter Day Saints recognize Jesus' birthday in March/April sometime.

Nora_Rose

Thank you for that article! Very insightful! Funny how things get mixed up and continue to be believed even though they are not true! I never thought Walt Disney personally drew Mickey Mouse. I figured he just had an idea of Mickey floating in his head and one of his illustrators drew it out for him.